Plumas Circumnavigator

Tell us all the gorey details!

Plumas Circumnavigator

Postby ricoyam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 pm

I'll be doing this next weekend, July 11-12, put on by Ironman Dual Sport in Northern California. Probably be dry and dusty but I hope the temps come down. It's been around 90f for the past couple of days.
I think I have the 430 ready to go. My partner is riding a KTM 350. should be fun!
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Re: Plumas Circumnavigator

Postby ricoyam » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 pm

The Plumas Circumnavigator was a great ride and weekend.
The temps were in the upper seventies and there was some moist dirt just under the surface in much of the route so dust wasn't as bad as it might have been otherwise. In the two days we covered over 300 miles and saw a lot of beautiful country. It started at Lake Oroville in CA and ran to Bucks Lake where we had lunch. Then back on the bikes to overnight in Quincy. Most of the harder riding was in the morning so we didn't have to beat ourselves up too much with a full stomach.
Had a fantastic dinner at a little restaurant called Moons in Quincy. If you ever find yourself up there, I strongly recommend it.

Sunday's ride back was pretty fast with a lot of fire roads but we were treated to some really fun single track too. We got back to the staging area right at 5:00. It was a full two days of pretty hard riding. Pretty sore and stiff today at work and hopefully I kept active enough so I don't feel the "second day after" results so bad tomorrow.

Sadly in this mornings email the promoter of the ride said he's had enough and was quitting the dual sport business. A real shocker as he gave no hint of this over the weekend.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby Dirtnap » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 am

Bummer, i was seriously thinking about doing this ride next year, my parents live in lake Almanor and my brother and i usually visit them that time of year. My brother does the Cal Poly Penguin ride every year and we thought we would try this one out,
13 Beta 400 RS
Dirtnap

Postby Deck1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 am

The GPS track is likely available. Bob was pretty good about sharing them. Rico, do you still have the track?
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby ricoyam » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:17 pm

The Cal Poly ride is pretty easy and too much pavement but I still enjoyed it. Part of it stems from having ridden the Hi Mountain Enduro back in the mid-eighties. It's a well run event.

I might still have the tracks for the Circumnavigator. I'll have to check. It'll be in the non-Garmin format since I loaded it into my Voyager. The friend I rode it with might have the Garmin format.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby Deck1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 am

I have tracks for Mercantile Rally and Crown Point Rally from up in that area. They were good 1 day rides with multiple options depending on skill level. I think Bob had permission to run some of the courses on private land in some areas, but you should be able to keep off those areas and pickup ride again, with GPS help. It's a bummer he wasn't able to make money at it, because they were fun rides. We went in 3 rider groups on both rides, and had a blast. Both rides were up around areas between Chico and Paradise, CA.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Return to Ride Reports