2014 beta 300rr

Tell us all the gorey details!

2014 beta 300rr

Postby 454X » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 pm

I posted this over at the café and now here.The first ride started bad and ended ok. I was waiting for my buddy to show up and decided to take the trash out. To my surprise when I opened my kitchen door to the garage my buddy had just finished loading my bike on his 3 rail trailer. So we are 25 minutes to the staging area coming down a bumpy mountain road when I hear a bang and dragging sound. My buddy say's OH SHIT and promptly stop the van. My brand new 8000.00 dollar Italian beauty is being drug down the road in front of the wheel of the trailer! Words can't describe the feeling in my gut or my buddy's for that matter. We got the bike out from under the trailer and to the side of the road. Both the plastic shields on my cycra CRM guards shredded, both black end pieces on the guards shredded, front fender shredded all the way through. Front brake master cylinder cover ground down, throttle housing shredded and then rotated. Rear fender cracked. It seems my dear friend routed my left side tie down over the top of his front disc and through his spokes to the anchor point and his disc chaffed through the tie down. I will never let any one load my bikes again. Amazingly all cosmetic. My only concern was if the throttle still worked and it did. Ride on! So the first thing I noticed was how low and rotated back the bars were. A quick adjustment to rotate the bars forward helped make the ride bearable. Next thing I noticed was the rear brake pedal was to low but I didn't mess with it. had a good 45 mile ride with elevation starting at 1000ft to 5800ft. The bike laid down the power very linear and smooth( even before I put my lectron on it) The Lectron made it smoother. My only gripe with the whole ride was that 3rd felt a bit tall in the low rpm's while going up hill on tight technical single track.(13/49 gearing). I think a 12 front will put the rpm's where I want them. I'm used to a close ratio tranny. Before I get started with the second ride report I want to give a shout to my dealer MotoXotica in Vacaville CA and American Beta. I called Dan and told him the bad news about what happened and gave him a list of parts to be ordered. He called me back the next day and said America Beta gave me a new rear fender and brake master cylinder cover . I only had to buy the throttle assembly, front fender and hand guard bits. So finally I get all my bits and put her back together but this time with protaper KX HIGHS. These are my new favorite bend. So today it was rainy and cold and every trail had water running down it but for some reason everything just felt right. Bar position and height. Rear brake lever height and everything checked. I through reservation out the door and gave it everything I could. The harder I pushed the bike the more it gave back. The bike felt light stopped good turned good and inspired me to ride harder. It never felt tipsy or to high and although under sprung the suspension worked good enough at speed. I'll make adjustments to it once I hit 10 hours. I have had a handful of brand new bikes through out the years but this one is by far the best. It even has a thermostat on it and so far I haven't read where any one has taken theirs off in the last year. Probably another reason it ran so flawlessly in the cold today. I cant wait to ride this bike some more with resprung and revalved suspension. This by far is the most satisfying bike purchase I have made.
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Re: 2014 beta 300rr

Postby GMP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:27 am

Oh man. :shock: :evil: Thats why I don't let anyone load, unload, fuel, or otherwise work on my bike. Thats great that they gave you some of the parts. Could have been worse!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Wahhhhhhh! Gnarly way to start the relationship, but I'm glad you love your bike.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby happy seal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm

I am sick to my stomach just reading this. I would have been distraught to the point of not riding. Did your buddy offer you any money or an apology? I would have a hard time letting that go man. Ooogggghhhh! If I was driving or was responsible for securing the bike I would have fixed it for the guy. I would claim it on ins if I had to. A few years old is one thing but brand new I woulda choked someone out. Your a better man than me.
I had a brand new Trek back in the 90's and this kid tied it up in his truck and screwed up the paint pretty good. It was a beautiful bike before with a fade from green to black until that ride. I still think about it and still have the bike.
Be carefull, think first!

Join the NRA!
happy seal

Postby 454X » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 pm

To good of a friend to let it come between us. He felt bad enough . I should've checked his work. He offered to pay for everything but I told him don't worry about it. He ended up leaving 40 bucks and an 18 pack of corona on my porch. That's a good friend. Had a nice drink and bought new tie downs with the 40 bucks.
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Postby happy seal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:01 pm

454X wrote:To good of a friend to let it come between us. He felt bad enough . I should've checked his work. He offered to pay for everything but I told him don't worry about it. He ended up leaving 40 bucks and an 18 pack of corona on my porch. That's a good friend. Had a nice drink and bought new tie downs with the 40 bucks.

That's cool. At least he did offer. He did right and is a good friend. Glad it worked out. I don't even have my bike yet and people are bugging me to ride it. I am going to have to get some miles on it first. Then its " break it you fix it!"
Be carefull, think first!

Join the NRA!
happy seal

Postby masta-BETA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 am

Feckin hell I near threw up reading that, dam that must have been a sickening sight to see your new bike like that as they always say could have been way worse, I bet ya buddy felt real stink as there's no way his intention was to damage your bike,dam the look on both your faces would have been priceless,good man for the cash and beers and offering to pay for parts, If I was you I would have forced me buddy to ride her when she was all pretty again, definitely a lesson to be learnt there. Cheers Richard
masta-BETA

Return to Ride Reports