New 390RS Impressions

Tell us all the gorey details!

New 390RS Impressions

Postby firffighter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Just picked up a 2017 Beta 390RS last week and was able to put a couple hundred miles on it on an annual week long trip to North Central Oregon.

Just a bit of background. I am a 47 year old vet A/B rider. No more racing, but put on about 1000-1500 miles of Oregon/Washington trails a year. Most of my riding is 2nd-3rd gear flowing singletrack or woods. I've owned a ton of bikes over the years including several Gasgas and KTM's. The bike I just sold to purchase the Beta was a 2009 KTM 300XC that I had built over the winter for our NW riding. I had been intrigued by the Beta 390 for a couple of years after Chilly White's reports and now that the 390 is factory plated, I was thinking it was time to pull the trigger. I've never bought brand new, so I did a ton of research and was nervous about the purchase. Luckily, my brother (HRR) has a '15 Beta 250rr and I have spent a ton of time on that bike and love what Beta has done in creating solid performers right out of the box. The Beta's just seem built for woods riding and are well sorted and unlike other brands, don't need much in terms of mods.

So, my initial impressions after 200 miles of awesome Oregon riding. One word: AWESOME!!!

This bike is so amazing in so many ways. It just performs so solidly right out of the box. I knew it would be nice, but I was honestly shocked at how nice it really is.

The first thing that hits you is the perfect motor. The FI is spot on with zero hits, bogs, hestitations, etc. It has plenty of grunt and transitions nicely with a great linear smooth pull into the mid where there's some nice pop. It feels similar to a 300 2-stroke in the low end grunt but is so smooth and perfect electric like power delivery. It never hurts you, but isn't boring, if that makes sense. It's like goldie locks said "This one is just right". I did a couple of nice technical steep hillclimbs and the motor can tractor up anything you point it at and never flames out. I think I killed it twice over the 200 miles from simply riding 3rd into a downhill corner, then slamming on the brakes to an almost complete stop, without using any clutch. This bike does not need a Rekluse! There is also very little engine braking as well which surprised me and made the transition from my 300XC take about 10 minutes!

Next is the handling. I am amazed at how nimble and light feeling this 390 is. You can toss it around and change lines with ease. It isn't a 2-stroke, but it is a great handling bike that has great trail manners. Its very balanced and stable, yet flickable at the same time. This is not easy to accomplish, but Beta has done a fantastic job with the chassis and the bike handles terrific. I did some singletrack and lots of 2-track, and it handles both with ease.

The suspension was a pleasant surprise. My KTM 300XC was equipped with Kreft worked closed cartridge suspension which was the best suspension I had ridden to date. I had read a lot of reviews on the Sachs and my brother's '15 forks were not that great out of the box. But, is was very surprised on how well the '17 Sachs suspension works. Its very plush and absorbs rocks very well. There's virtually no deflection from the forks which is a real surprise after riding the '15 250rr and experiencing quite a bit of deflection from those forks. The shock seems great with the rear end never kicking out. I am 225 lbs, so I am too heavy for the springs, yet I never had any bottoming. I adjusted the compression in the forks 2 clicks harder and that took care of the forks slightly dipping into turns. I think if I loose a few more lbs., this suspension is going to work just fine.

Overall ergos. The bike is laid out wonderfully and feels comfortable right from the start. I put on Flexx bars before ever riding it, but the bike is extremely comfortable and balanced. I am 5'10" and the low seat height and slightly smaller feel of the bike suits me perfectly.

Overall, I am so impressed with what Beta has done here with the 390. This is a great package and will work perfectly for my riding skills and terrain. I cant wait to hit more woods with this bike! Kuddos to Beta for creating the perfect middle-aged clubman level bike. Plus its plated, so Ill be enjoying some dual sporting locally as well with Mt Hood Nat'l forest literally 5 miles from my front door!

Couldn't be more excited and very happy with my purchase!

Here's a short little video of my initial reaction:

https://youtu.be/3OQrTA00fGQ
firffighter

Re: New 390RS Impressions

Postby mtnmanseth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 pm

firffighter wrote:I had read a lot of reviews on the Sachs and my brother's '15 forks were not that great out of the box. But, is was very surprised on how well the '17 Sachs suspension works. Its very plush and absorbs rocks very well. There's virtually no deflection from the forks which is a real surprise after riding the '15 250rr and experiencing quite a bit of deflection from those forks. The shock seems great with the rear end never kicking out.

Couldn't be more excited and very happy with my purchase!

I rode my '17 300 Race for the first time yesterday and had an identical experience. Read lots of reports of the CC race fork being "harsh" and "needs to break-in to feel plush" and "immediately put in thinner oil" etc etc, but I could not believe how well behaved the suspension was out of the box. The harder I rode it, the better it felt. Definitely better than my '14 498 suspension. Couldn't be happier with the product, thus far.

Glad you're (also) a happy Beta owner. Dig your videos - keep 'em up!
2017 Beta 300RR Race
2014 Beta 498RR
2005 GasGas EC300
mtnmanseth

Postby dirtynenow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 am

I am really leaning towards an 18 390 Race Edition. I watched your first ride vids. Looked like a good ride.
dirtynenow

Postby hooter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Great report, thanks firffighter!

Any evidence of lean-ness or other impact from the emissions equipment? My Husky FE350s was not very fun to ride until I re-mapped it, removed air canister, removed exhaust screen etc

How's the weight? I'm sure it's heavier than a 300XC, but have you had a chance to compare with other similar four-strokes? (Like the Husky FE350s for example :D )

Thanks!
hooter

Postby firffighter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:25 pm

hooter wrote:Great report, thanks firffighter!

Any evidence of lean-ness or other impact from the emissions equipment? My Husky FE350s was not very fun to ride until I re-mapped it, removed air canister, removed exhaust screen etc

How's the weight? I'm sure it's heavier than a 300XC, but have you had a chance to compare with other similar four-strokes? (Like the Husky FE350s for example :D )

Thanks!

Loving the bike so far. Runs spot on right from the start. Zero emissions issues and no need for remapping with the Beta. The Beta does not come equipped with any emissions equipment unless you live in CA.

This bike is very nimble and feels like you are able to switch lines and toss it around easily. Riding it back to back with my brother's Beta 250rr, you feel the difference, but they aren't too far off and feel similar through the trails.

I did ride a '17 Husqvarna FX450 last year and it's a very light feeling bike as well. I'd say they are neck and neck.
firffighter

Postby hooter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Very cool! It's good for us that Beta are offering bikes that are very competitive with KTM / Husky.

Just so I'm clear - is there a 49-state bike without emissions stuff, and then another one just for CA that does have the emissions gear?
hooter

Postby dirtynenow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm

I live in IA and all Beta models are plated. I have two 300rr plated.
dirtynenow

Postby firffighter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:02 pm

hooter wrote:Very cool! It's good for us that Beta are offering bikes that are very competitive with KTM / Husky.

Just so I'm clear - is there a 49-state bike without emissions stuff, and then another one just for CA that does have the emissions gear?

Not being from CA, I cannot say. But, I've read about CA owners dealing with emissions equipment. I'm in Oregon and my RRS has no emissions items on the bike.
firffighter

Postby hooter » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:38 am

That's awesome! In that case we will probably get the same bike as you up here in Canada. Thanks!
hooter

Postby hawaii-rider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am

Firefighter,
so...middle of September, how is the 390 holding up and your opinions now with some (hopefully) more miles on her?
Im north of you in Washington , just east of Fort Lewis

Great review, good read, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Scott
hawaii-rider

Next

Return to Ride Reports