2014 350 factory edition.

Tell us all the gorey details!

2014 350 factory edition.

Postby Timber » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 pm

I picked the bike up on Friday and took it to a Moto track on Sunday for a quick break in. Only put about 25 fairly easy miles on it.

1. Motor is powerful and revs smothly. Way better bottom and mid that ktm 350's I've tried. Since it's new I didn't rev it out but it seemed very "free" and felt eager to run up top.

2. Suspension felt great. Supple on small stuff but also soaked up jump landings and even went strait and fast through whoops.

3. Bike is beautiful. People drooling on it all day.

4. Jetting was close. I run 100 octane and had pulled the spark arrestor out. I'll let it break in a bit more before determining perfect jetting.

5. The map switch didnt seem to do anything. When I got home I inspected the connection and it was very loose so I don't know if it was working. Does anyone know what map does what? Also, when the button is pushed in on map 2 is that on or does the button out on map 2 select map 2?

6. I think I could make the clear 2014 2-stroke tank fit with some heat gun work but it would be a little extensive for head clearance on the left side. Bike seemed to get good milage so I'm sticking with the stocker for now.

Overall I'm very impressed with this bike. I've been on 2-strokes since about 2009 but couldnt be happier with the build quality and performance. I'll need to get it out in the woods before I can give you all an in depth review.
Timber

Re: 2014 350 factory edition.

Postby GMP » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Congrats. When you get some time in it please do a comparison to the 300RR. I'm not a 4stroke guy but if I were that would be the bike. Good luck!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 pm

I got tired of looking at the 350 Factory in my shop and decided to ride it Labor Day, much to the delight of the five or six guys that also happened to get some seat time on its inauguration day. Impressions from riding the bike back-to-back with ... 2013 GasGas 300, 2014 KTM 250 XC-F, 2014 KTM 250XC, 2012 YZ250 "off-roadified" and a 2014 KTM 300XC.

Looks - nothing else I've seen, or anybody else had seen, comes close. Flat out sexy! Some of the appeal was moderated when a pair of Sidi Crossfires peeled back the airbox lid graphics and spread the adhesive around.

Smoothness - from bottom to top the smoothest off-road bike I've ever ridden. Usually Flexxbars get mounted to everything around here, but this time I don't see the need. The six-spring clutch engagement and pull are excellent. Carburetion is excellent, and the motor never stumbled or lurched, unlike the KTM thumper.

Motor - one guy kept trying to bury it in deep sandy corners but it kept pulling through. I'd put it somewhere about a 275cc 2T, but it lacks the snap that puts a grin on your face, even if it's pulling twice as far in a gear. One guy said you could ride it like a 250F or a 450 either/or, and that may be true, but it will definitely favor more flowing courses. There was more engine braking than on a 2T, but noticeably less than on the KTM 250 XC-F.

Rolling feel - certainly a combination of the four-stroke motor and the Marzocchi 48s and Sachs rear, but the plushness was outstanding. Combined with the breadth of engine power the bike just wanted to run in the whoops. The trail lacked meaningful roots or rocks so I'll withhold judgement until I get to ride in those conditions (and until the suspension fully breaks in). Nevertheless better suspension action than any of the other bikes.

Brakes - one of the riders managed to toast the rear brake by essentially using the pedal as another footpeg. A Dirttricks rotor is going on in place of the stock rear, and the fluid will get swapped out for something better than the standard Nission goo. The front was strong as is typical.

Suspension - I pulled 1-7/8 turns of PFP out of the forks in an effort to get the front end down a little in the corners, and I expect as the suspension breaks in I'll slowly dial it back in. The rear was plush from the get go - we'll see what happens on different trails, and with time.

Noise - whisper quiet, especially compared to the dumbass with the full-moto PC system on his KX450F that was also on the loop. I missed the snap of the 2T exhaust, but you could almost ride this in the suburbs without offending the neighbors.

Seat/cover - I actually liked the sandpaper-textured cover better than I expected, and being familiar with Beta seats was immediately comfortable with the firm feel. Immensely better than the EE cover on one of the KTMs that was slippery by comparison. I didn't notice the scorecard holder, although it serves no purpose where we ride.

Weight - heavier than the 2T Betas to get on the stand, but with the handholds in the subframe still easy to lift. Nimble, but not as billy-goat-like in nature as my 250. The 350 definitely liked flowing around the outer lines more than trying the cut-and-thrust lines of the 250 ... kind of like the GasGas 300 that was also present.

Ergonomics - completely natural, which makes sense because it feels just like all the other Betas. The KTMs felt pieced together by comparison. I jumped on the GasGas 300 and immediately noticed I was getting slapped in the backside in the whoops, but that is due to the peg-to-seat dimension. Interestingly the GasGas felt the 'farthest out there' in terms of ergonomics, but I was able to adapt within a mile or so having spent a couple seasons on the new chassis.

Starting - little red button, what else? A couple of us kicked it just for fun, and while firmer than a 2T was easily manageable with the lever.

Map switch - no appreciable difference on this terrain, on this day.

All in all a fun bike to ride, and if you have moderate-to-open terrain a sure winner. The Factory Edition goodies make it spectacular to look at, and all of the other details, from the motor to the suspension to the ergos, make it a top-notch off-roader.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Kdxtreme » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:43 pm

So this bike wouldn't be suited to tight single track to extreme conditions?
Kdxtreme

Postby thumperrider1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 am

I think for tight and extreme the 250RR or 300RR would be my choice.
2014 250RR Racing - Sold
thumperrider1

Postby GMP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Its just a 2stroke vs. 4stroke thing. In real tough, grinder trails the Beta 2stroke seems like it just naturally wants to run, will lug way down and is hard to stall. A 4stroke seems like its always more of a task to keep above the stall speed. Then there is the header melted pants in a tipover fall. :shock: No fat pipe to smash though, just a silencer. Yamaha solved those problems with that new YZ250F. For tech single track I don't think you can beat the 300RR.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Kdxtreme wrote:So this bike wouldn't be suited to tight single track to extreme conditions?

Like Glenn said, really just more of a 2T vs 4T thing. The guys that aren't sponsored by the big orange gorilla seem to gravitate to the 2T for the "very extreme" events.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:03 am

Also, a lot depends on the jetting/mapping. We made a very big improvement in stall resistance on a Husky TXC310 by adding a little fuel in the right spots. I'm sure the Beta is very close stock if the jetting on the 2strokes is any indication.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Enmerdeur » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:59 pm

twowheels wrote:Smoothness - from bottom to top the smoothest off-road bike I've ever ridden. Usually Flexxbars get mounted to everything around here, but this time I don't see the need. The six-spring clutch engagement and pull are excellent. Carburetion is excellent, and the motor never stumbled or lurched, unlike the KTM thumper.

I had the chance to ride one of these today and I totally agree with the above. Handling is typical Beta which is great. Feels light compared to my KTM 450 but its not. Rotating mass thing.

First 350 that I would seriously consider.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Return to Ride Reports