ACT Border Ride dual sport

Tell us all the gorey details!

ACT Border Ride dual sport

Postby ricoyam » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Don Ivan laid out a challenging course for the 2015 edition of the Border Ride. Starting in Minden, NV and running through the Eastern Sierras, over nighting in Topaz then back down to Minden on Sunday. Saturday was about 130 miles of loose rocky and deep sandy trails. Luckily the area saw a good amount of rain last weekend and a little below the surface was some moisture. It did a good job of minimizing dust, not much for traction. I'm not very good in that sandy soil and it seemed like I was chasing my front wheel all morning, except for when I'd stop to pick my bike up.

Still, I was having a good time chasing Chris and a couple of other friends through the high desert woods and chaparral. Then I got a flat. First time I can recall getting a flat during a organized ride in 40+ years of dirt biking. I was going to put my 21" spare in but Chris handed me an 18". I noticed it had a bit of rust on the stem so figured well it's used but if Chris is carrying it, it must be good. It wasn't. It cost a CO2 cartridge. I was going to put my 21 in but some other guys had ridden up and put a "scab" on my original tube so I put that in. Used three more CO2's and it was holding. Chris told our two friends to ride ahead and we'd try to catch up at the lunch/gas stop. So Chris and I got my bike back together and took off. Quarter mile later it was flat again. Crap! So we ended up putting my 21" tube in anyway, biggest worry was we were down to one CO2 and it wouldn't be enough to get much pressure, it would have to be good enough, at least till the gas stop, about 30 miles away. I screwed together the last CO2 while Chris put the tube in and the bead back on. The rim lock didn't look just right, so we wiggled it around until it felt seated. Chris put the CO2 to it and the tube popped. It must have still been pinched in the rim lock. I thought about stuffing grass in there but Chris gave me one of those "that does work" looks so I decided to put all three dead tubes in, just to add some cushion. It was better but still not good. I was holding speeds down aroun 10-15 mph and we should have been leaving the gas stop about then. We finally hit pavement and got to the gas station somewhere after 3:00. Luckily Don was still there with his van so we weighed the options and put my bike in his van. He drove me to Topaz and Chris filled his bike and rolled in a few minutes later.

Despite several offers to fix my flat I thought the tire was too far gone to run, it was I found, after I replaced it yesterday. That meant the ride was over for me. Too bad too, Sunday's route was only about 70 miles and the soil and terrain was much more familiar to us guys that ride more oak and pine filled woods than the desert stuff. They had several water crossings deep enough to drown several riders and a high ridge at around 10,000 feet where I was told they could see all the way to Utah.

The rest of our team made it through pretty much unscathed although one had a fast fastish crash in some rocks and was sporting a good bruise on one of his butt cheeks. At least he said he was, I didn't want to look. :-))

There were about 70 riders and probably about a dozen Betas. The distributor was there too with two bikes and riders. That made Beta the second most popular make to KTM. Not bad at all.

Now all I can do is look forward to the next one.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Re: ACT Border Ride dual sport

Postby Johnny Depp » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Sounds like you got in part good time and part hard work changing tubes..

I'm not sure if the flat was the cause of losing the front, but it sounds suspiciously like my early experience before cranking the preload to get the sag under 100 (96.5) and raising the forks in the clamps. At our age too many times picking up the bike is asking for trouble..

Beta is moving on up! I wish we had rides like that in Texas.
Johnny Depp

Postby ricoyam » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:19 am

Johnny Depp wrote:Sounds like you got in part good time and part hard work changing tubes..

I'm not sure if the flat was the cause of losing the front, but it sounds suspiciously like my early experience before cranking the preload to get the sag under 100 (96.5) and raising the forks in the clamps. At our age too many times picking up the bike is asking for trouble..

Beta is moving on up! I wish we had rides like that in Texas.

There are a couple of possibles. I was previously running Pirelli MT21s with a 120 in the rear. I probably should have gone with the 130 as the MT21 runs small. I wanted to try a more serious tire so I put on a pair of Scorpion XT in a mid to soft terrain. They had good reviews in the soft stuff and also were said to work well in rocks. When the tires showed up I was disappointed how thin the sidewalks were. I suspect the added grip and drive from the rear made the bike want to under steer. Also I do need to check the sag. I' sure the spring might have settled in a bit.

I now have a Dunlop AT81 in back and shouldn't have anymore flat trouble.
I did talk to a guy running the Scorpions who loved them but he was also running mousses. There was also a guy running Tubliss who was having tire issues. Evidently his tire casing was breaking down and air was bleeding out right through the carcass.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby GMP » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:32 am

Tires vary in internal carcass texture and also in quality/porosity of mfg. I had a brand new Vee Rubber (forget the #) that leaked bad immediately. I dropped the wheel in about six inches of water and it looked like an airstone in a fish tank, brand new tire! On the flip side I have a Sedona 907, smooth wall stiff carcass. Beat the crap out of it in rocks at 3.5 PSI for weeks and it never drops pressure. MT16s, even with the cords showing inside, hold pressure fine as well.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby garrett » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 am

Sounds like a great ride down there, I'm envious, it's snow season here and I'm currently down to my trials bike as I await delivery of a '16 300rr. No winter riding for me this year. :( (The studded tires make it FUN and on warmer days you're working hard so you aren't cold. No bugs, no dust, the bike crawls over trees and you can RIP on icy trails).

A few years ago I rode over a sharp edged rock embedded in the forestry road and got a front AND rear pinch flat at the same time. What are the odds of that happening? I went over to Tubliss shortly thereafter and have had no issues with them. I have had a few tires that leaked through the carcass but have run them at zero on the trails with little problems. Some harder carcasses will obviously hold up better than others. I've used MT43's and various OEM tires on a couple of KTM's with no problems at low pressures with Tubliss. A bunch of my riding buds use Motoz Mountain Hybrid w/Tubliss and love the combo so I'll be switching to that when the new girl arrives. I generally use 3 PSI in the rear and around 6 in the front while trail riding. The Gen 2 Tubliss is much better than earlier versions and hardly loses pressure in the liner even after several weeks. I carry a little bike pump with me if we happen to get on a road but most of my time is spent on trails so I hardly ever need to pump up tires.

Garrett
garrett

Return to Ride Reports