300RR Racing first ride

Tell us all the gorey details!

Re: 300RR Racing first ride

Postby GMP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm an inch shorter and two lbs lighter than you, how can you ride with a 4.8 spring? No wonder the front washes. I dropped in a 5.2 during prep. Bike carves like a razor, and the fork is in balance and properly loaded. IMO 50 hrs is way too long on those forks for a service, especially a first service. I'm pulling mine down around 10-15 for oil and valving inspection/tweak.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:00 am

GMP wrote:how can you ride with a 4.8 spring? .

+1
I couldn't make the thing turn with the 4.8. 5.2 spring here also.
Even with a 5.4 I got good sag numbers at 175lbs.
Hammer

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 am

brakes are ok. cant do a stopie. which is ok unless your trying to do a switch back stoppie, then watchout, no stopie! hopefully i get this straightened out soon. i would like to change the front to a brembo

Before you go to all that, try removing the lock nut on the front brake lever, this lets you take out way more free play. Also, GG wrap around guards will fit with the Nissin caliper and provide more fork protection. (Just read your other post on this... never mind, sounds like that didn't work so well for you.)

Glad you like your bike, a KYB spring will fit the rear if you or your buddies have any sitting around. I run a 5.4 off of a 350RR, much better ride after that!
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 am

Be careful with the KYB springs, Steve said they are a little larger in dia and can rub the airboot more.

My problem now is the linkage, smashed it several times Sunday, once sent me half over the bars. Unfortunatley I think I'm going to have to go for that Stillwell guard before I break something on the bike or myself! Hate to do it but its the extreme nature of the terrain here in NJ/PA. Not a Beta thing, just a modern linkage thing.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Boom Boom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for posting about your linkage taking a hit.
That is the main reason I still have my 11 Gasser, the lower linkage of most all new bikes makes me think I will be impacting rocks or hooking on logs.
Once you get some armor on the lower section please post up if you feel it help to let the bike impact and slide or if it hits and hooks just the same.
I was parked next to the new Sherco at the enduro this past weekend and it has a potato planter hanging down also. He (Jeff) has no issue with it but I see me just clubbing the crap out of rocks and logs.
The Beta looks to not hang near as low as the Sherco so I had thought it might not be an issue but by your comment it must be.
How was your 2012 Gasser vs the Beta as far as taking hits to the linkage.
2012 Beta EVO 300ss
2011 Gas Gas 300ec
Boom Boom

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:03 pm

First off, I ride in some real nasty crap locally. A lot of the trails were cut by trials riders who also ride enduro bikes, so you know where I'm coming from. First ride I was very careful and avoided some of the more extreme obstacles, no problems. I was riding with Cruiser in JT, PA Sunday and although the rocks were a lot tamer, there were a few big log hops that I touched down on. No damage, but once I got a good bite and got thrown forward. This was to be expected sooner or later and is not a complaint. The bike is light, small, and powerful, and begs to be popped over stuff, its fun! For all but Micheaux and Foggy enduros and all the ECEA harescrambles there would be no problem at all.

The Beta linkage is more mainstream, like a Honda or Husky, with a short rocker, so the shock clevis appears to hang lower. Not as low as a KTM though, they are the lowest IMO. The '12+ GG has a longer rocker, so it actually sits lower off the swingarm, but this gives the impression of a higher shock eye because it is obsecred by the pull rods. Its also much easier to damage the small Ohlins shock eye than the clevis or rocker on most other bikes. I ran a Scorpion skid on the GG after taking a couple good bites out of the shock eye, and a trip half over the bars but on a rock at higher speed. This was a good part, and touched down all the time, but eliminated any hooking concerns. We made up some Delrin slider pads to add to the bottom of the skid, worked even better crossing the many logs left from Hurricane Sandy, but rocks tore them up. The semi closed design was a major mud trap though and a PIA to clean out.

So, I'm looking at a Stillwell guard to protect my investment. Its not cheap, but the solid ramp before the shock clevis should answer your question about getting hooked on stuff. They made it for Cody Webb, it will work for me! I have a couple designs of my own I was planning on making up but just not enough time, maybe later.

Never gave a thought to linkage on the old GGs, I remember hitting once when I screwed up a railroad crossing on a steep raised bed, but thats it.

Think about it this way, another good thing about the Beta is you have the option along with KTM and GG. Your SOL for linkage protection with all the others.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby tetondrtbag » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:25 pm

GMP wrote:I'm an inch shorter and two lbs lighter than you, how can you ride with a 4.8 spring? No wonder the front washes. I dropped in a 5.2 during prep. Bike carves like a razor, and the fork is in balance and properly loaded. IMO 50 hrs is way too long on those forks for a service, especially a first service. I'm pulling mine down around 10-15 for oil and valving inspection/tweak.

Time and money brother. Dont have enough. Remember I just dropped 9k on a new bike. Wife can not tolerate me spending more money to replace a new shock spring right now.
I need to embezzle more money from myself then I can fix my problem.
'13 300rr race
'13 ktm 300xc
'08 ktm 300xc
tetondrtbag

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

I hear you on that. I sold off two bikes and a lot of spares to get this bike and set it up. Spring is a Sachs used on Huskys and some GGs for years, keep your eyes open for one. 5.2 should be easy to find as it was stock on Sachs equipped GGs for years, and many guys went up in rate. Join GGRC and post in the wanted section of the classifieds, I'll bet one comes up cheap. Mine is from my old '07 GG. Don't get hurt riding a spooky setup, more $ than a spring!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

I have a 5.2 and a 5.4 here.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 am

First race and bike did nothing wrong, unlike myself. :x I'm still amazed on what a natural bike this is to ride, it takes no special adaptations and just does what is asked of it. I was expecting more instability in the loose sand sections compared to the longer feeling GasGas, but the bike felt at least and perhaps more stable. I think the added power contributed to this. In tight sections of bar width trees it was right at home, and in no way was the 300cc a disadvantage. In the tight "chute" ribboned off before the scoring antenna, there was a tight 90+ deg turn that would have had my GG jammed up, as it did last year, not even a thought on the Beta. Only thing that I was not quite right was my suspension was a little too soft, but to be fair on this course a full moto setup would work good. I should have upped everything in the fork and shock a little more. I'll try that when I return here for the ECEA race next month.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Previous

Return to Ride Reports