300RR Racing first ride

Tell us all the gorey details!

Re: 300RR Racing first ride

Postby Timber » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 pm

gasgastrials wrote:What difference did you notice when reducing the squish? I have my bars 20mm up and the JD Jetting kit, need to learn more about the G2 throttle too! In order for me to agree the GG turns better we need to be talking '11 or older frame... I found a lot of hate for the Beta over there too. Pointing out GG was going to give up a large percentage of their market share to Beta if they didn't get their sh** together probably didn't help.

The last gasser I had was a 2010 so we can agree on that. The squish adjustment gave the bike a bit more bottom end but most importantly it got rid of the little burble right off idle that I couldn't seem to jet out.
Timber

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:32 am

I can see where some people would think that coming off an older gen GG. They both turn tight, but the Beta just turns a lot easier, lighter. I first rode mine in a small woods section near my house with some flat turns in good dirt. I found I was oversteering the bike, no hint of washout. This light feel may seem a little spooky at first but as you gain time on the bike you realize its actually very balanced. I don't get where the stock 4.8 spring came from but I think the balance would be way off and scare the poo out of you, at least with the Zokes up front.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 pm

I haven't ridden the new 300 yet but with a bunch buying 2 t Betas around here I'm hoping for one soon. It's great to know how satisfied everyone is with the bike. I still have my 01 cr 250 set up for trail and an 01 gasgas 300. I was thinking of either getting an 11' or so electric start gasgas 300 or getting a little older gasgas and retrofitting an electric start.. or just going out and buying a Beta. I'd have to get rid of my 2 2 strokes now and I have to see it will be hard letting go of my modded out and glove fitting cr. Maybe when I ride a Beta 300 I'll be able to let go. Here's what I have now. I'm pretty conflicted.. I wish I could keep a flock of bikes ... The addiction is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXgY-SHvcU
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:26 pm

If estart is a must have, the Beta is the clear winner. It's what the KTM and GG should have been. No shimming, adjustments, bendix problems, or other BS. It's a wet system, the bendix sits in a well of trans oil in the bottom of the ignition compartment, so it's always lubed. No ignition maintainance either, like a four stroke. I got rid of two bikes, one I really liked, the other not as much. Bikes I know inside out in my sleep. Beleive me, I don't miss either after one good ride. It really surprised me, and I'm very analytical in my evaluation, not all emotional just because its new.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Just a word on turning - I took my steering stop Allen head bolts out of the frame, removed the locknut and tightened the bolt all the way into the frame. No clearance problems with my Beta radiator frames at all, the forks just miss kissing them. The result is a very nimble handling bike on tight trails. I still want to perfect my wheelie, foot down, pivot turns - just takes practice!
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby GMP » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Another awesome day on the 300RR. Typical PA tight rocky, rooty, mountain trail with a dash of greasy mud thrown in. Bike was great except for the tires in some of the muddy corners. Today I was running the PV adjuster 2 turns in and the power was strong but totally seemless, I mean it does not get any smoother. Very easy bike to ride, it does not wear on me at all, in fact I think it takes less energy due to the weight and smooth power. I'm leaning more toward the 50t rear after another full day on the bike.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43 pm

I'll try turning my adjuster in a half turn. These motors are so smooth it's like riding a big trials bike. Feels like you can count the power pulses as you idle up rock climbs or on super slick corners.

Glenn, feel a need for any more top end power? I'm thinking the silencer could be choking it, but I can't say I haven't found a need for more top end yet.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby GMP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:08 am

Around here I have no need for more top end, plenty to get into trouble with! :shock: I've probably gone faster in absolute speed on some dirt/gravel roads and faster open trail than I have in a long time. Bike just pulls smooth and hard bottom to top. I have a 50t rear on the way to play with as I think it will cut down on the 2nd-3rd shifts and allow 3rd most of the time. I don't see the silencer being a choke point, its straight through not a Stealth SA, just uses the big can and looks like one. Long silencers are traditionally good for smooth, broad power with good top. Steve is experimenting with a shortened can (-3.5"), like the on pictured on Webb's bike. I like this for the physical aspect of it being smaller, but typically this trades off the spread for more low end snap, which the bike has plenty of for sure. I once cut down a KTM300 "hockey stick" into a shorty and that is exactly what happened.

Play with the PV adjuster and see what you think, I was surprised how the 'hit" (if you could call it that) was all but eliminated with a half turn of the allen key. The # of turns in is referenced to where the adjuster bolt is flush with the small cover. I drilled a hole in my alloy skidplate for fast access to the adjuster on the trail.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby tetondrtbag » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

i backed my comp all the way out after taking some hard diggers from front end washing. 5 hrs
changed front tire and added 5 to the comp after 21 hrs. its better.
but now i can tell it needs a stiffer rear spring. does not hold up.
will address it in a few more hours at suspension service time. 37 hrs currently. service at 50.

I had to fiddle with my brass right from the start. 5k-8k riding. stock was fluffy. dropped the main. 38 pj and just installed a k tapered needle. (its coming Steve)
PV spring turned out to almost flush really woke this bike up.15 hrs. happier now, but waitting for SC to compare my settings and see if there is more on the table to be had. if so, maybe a 14/48 gear set will be my ticket.
stock chain stretched a little more than expected.

The cradle is low. I take a little different line now.
stock pipe is thin. thinikng Hyde
clevis is ok, minor scrapes. keeping fingers crossed.

nothing "spectacular" about the bike. maybe the button?
does everything i want it too. chugs in first and rips thru the box smoothly. shifter is a bit too smooth. I find neutral a lot .doh!
handles creek beds pretty good. sucks up trail junk just fine. loves to jump logs!
you can attack roots with confidence. rear does not deflect! ( PDS for years) lofts the front with just a tweak of the throttle.
I've mx'ed it for an hour or so and had a blast. the Zokes like to be exercised. they actually felt way better after this mx session and a 2 up for a mile or two. no complaints with shock other than soft.

tool kit behind side cover is sweet! took a few lbs off my back.
carb is easy to get at and make adjustments without removal.
grab handle are very nice!
no gear box check hole. so always have to use graduated cyclinder when doing oil change. no biggie.
when bars in middle position its impossible the bleed forks. should have bought bleeders with it.
shark fin in nice piece of art. i think its made with human blood. $$$
rear m12 was fantastic . front was a death trap!
brakes are ok. cant do a stopie. which is ok unless your trying to do a switch back stoppie, then watchout, no stopie! hopefully i get this straightened out soon. i would like to change the front to a brembo so i can run the berg gaurds in white. stock "race "flags are a joke.
the seat is ok. im not picky. the little pocket is useless. push button release needs silicone and it works like a charm. (buddies 13 ktm lost the seat bolt first ride.)
all in all its a great bike. going to run it thru its paces soon in moab. and really stretch the boingers out! after the 5.2 install.
the bearing do need to be greased with better grease. but atleast there is grease!

I love the bike. its very sexy. and screams. faster and stronger than my buds 13 ktm 300. he even admits it!
fits like a glove even if it does drag its knuckles a little. 5'10" 180lbs. 33 inseam.
coming off a mod'ed '08 300. which is still a better bike between the two except the 08 is worn out.
but i am a human and have adapted to the Beta ride and love it!

MD

you can not go wrong with this bike.
'13 300rr race
'13 ktm 300xc
'08 ktm 300xc
tetondrtbag

Postby tetondrtbag » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:28 pm

oh, and the plastic beta skid plate is actually working!
i have nailed some rock and wood and its still there!
i am afraid to look at the rails.
'13 300rr race
'13 ktm 300xc
'08 ktm 300xc
tetondrtbag

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Reports