racing the x-trainer

ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

racing the x-trainer

Postby canamfan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 pm

I know this has been hashed around a bit but is anyone racing the x-trainer in hare scrambles? I still haven't got my Beta had some family medical problems that ate up my Beta fund but back on track to purchase one in 6 months or so. I'm in my mid 50's an average rider thought the X might work for me to ride a few harescrambles. I know I would want the kickstarter, It's close to the price of the RR with the kicker, and different springs for my 200# weight.
canamfan

Re: racing the x-trainer

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Yes, get one!
Offer still stands to ride my 300RR.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby canamfan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for the offer, there's a hare scramble in Thurman iowa coming up but I'm not sure if I will be able to go. is that close to you?
canamfan

Postby bmrev01 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:50 am

My Daughter has raced one for a year and loves it. I also just sold one to a B Super Senior rider that races HS and he also loves it.
Dave
bmrev01

Postby nevermind » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 am

canamfan wrote:I know this has been hashed around a bit but is anyone racing the x-trainer in hare scrambles? I still haven't got my Beta had some family medical problems that ate up my Beta fund but back on track to purchase one in 6 months or so. I'm in my mid 50's an average rider thought the X might work for me to ride a few harescrambles. I know I would want the kickstarter, It's close to the price of the RR with the kicker, and different springs for my 200# weight.

I wanted to ride a few hare scrambles and was this " " close to pulling the trigger on the XT. After much anguish, I went with the 300RR to get the better suspension and the motor with a touch more punch. I have done one 35 mile Enduro and am planning hare scrambles this next season. FWIW, given the challenging courses they plan, I'm glad I went with the better suspension.

Unless you are height challenged, I would go with the 300RR. The 300RR is very easy to ride slowly and in a controlled manner. I have the rekluse clutch and it is very easy to pick the next higher gear and just plug along. No drama when you don't want it but when you want, you can push hard and it won't fade.
nevermind

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 am

Canamfan,

Sent you a PM Steve. :geek:
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby Vspec » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 am

As super novice, I raced last weekend on the Xtrainer and the only let down was the suspension, as I had to slow my pace in the whoops. Power was not an issue.

The only reason I would pick the RR300 is for a better suspension, but then I would put a Xtrainer pipe on it, so in the end its a wash.

Ultimately the RR would make a better race but for mere mortals (99% of us), the Xtrainer with a better suspension would be plenty.
Vspec

Postby betajuice » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:28 pm

xtrainer suspension is definitely not of the same grade as the RR300. a mate just his xtrainer overhauled at 60 hours and the suspension tuner had to replace a few bits and pieces as he said it is overall a softer, lighter and cheaper setup.

i'm not saying don't race a xtrainer of course, but just be aware you'll want to get that suspension overhauled a fair bit sooner than normal.
betajuice

Postby GMP » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:14 am

Wrong tool for the job IMO
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Vspec » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 am

Not that trail riding translate into racing but I had a friend of mine take the missus Xt on our annual trail ride and the man was flying. Mine you he knows these trail quite well, his usual ride is mid 90s DR650. Even experienced rider on 500s had a hard time keeping up.
Vspec

Next

Return to Off Road Racer's Corner