2016 NorthEast 24hr Challenge

ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Re: 2016 NorthEast 24hr Challenge

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:12 am

Sounds horrible well done for finishing.
Marty Moose

Postby GMP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Well, that was the most extreme dust and silt I've ever seen in my life. If that was the norm in a western desert state I'd find another hobby, seriously. Even the access farm roads had our trucks covered before reaching the pit area. Normally that area is moist rich dirt to mud, nothing like this. There was a hill with shallow turn that turned into a foot plus deep hole of powder with roots. I got jammed up there when one of the women went down and was stuck in the middle. Due to the long daylight hrs and my order of fifth rider, I never saw complete darkness or used my light bar, rather the sunset and late sunrise, which was a real PIA in the dust. Some high speed straights through the pines into the rising sun became blind second gear "where am I going" moments. Not really pleased with my ride but despite the conditions I had a great time just being there and riding with my friends and family. There is something about this event that is addictive, its much more than a race. Once you experience it your hooked. My friend Jay, who was originally not thrilled, now can't wait till next year. As far as results, we were in a very tough class for a bunch of old dudes and a wild 26 yr old. I think next year with the increasing interest, we can change things up and enter the proper class or classes.

FYI, the Betas ran great, Steve brought a truck full of spares but we changed nothing but filters. For this flowing course Steve ran the 350RR Race which was a great choice.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm

How did the 350 go with dust through the filter ? Any get past ?

MM
Marty Moose

Postby GMP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 pm

As far as I know it was fine. He told me the oil looked new when he dropped it also. On my filters I run NoToil, and despite what some say it has been 100% in stopping everything, including this dust storm. All in the prep.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:43 pm

GMP wrote:As far as I know it was fine. He told me the oil looked new when he dropped it also. On my filters I run NoToil, and despite what some say it has been 100% in stopping everything, including this dust storm. All in the prep.

Thats the reason I asked I had issues with no toil with dust on the Beta not on my YZ250f. I tried red and green and just went back to motul and a greased edge. I don't think the std twin air filters are that good in heavy fine dust. Oil wise the 350 is amazing its always clean love this bike. Big challenge 24hrs I've done a 12 hour it was tough can't imagine doing Iron man that's nuts.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby twowheels » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 pm

I use a TwinAir filter with NoToil as the standard set-up, rain/shine/dust/mud. I changed the filter after my first two-hour run and paid careful attention to the airboot - clean and dry, no dust. The second filter looks about the same as the first, which is to say nasty, but not nearly as bad as I expected given the conditions.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:34 am

Marty Moose wrote:
GMP wrote:As far as I know it was fine. He told me the oil looked new when he dropped it also. On my filters I run NoToil, and despite what some say it has been 100% in stopping everything, including this dust storm. All in the prep.

Thats the reason I asked I had issues with no toil with dust on the Beta not on my YZ250f. I tried red and green and just went back to motul and a greased edge. I don't think the std twin air filters are that good in heavy fine dust. Oil wise the 350 is amazing its always clean love this bike. Big challenge 24hrs I've done a 12 hour it was tough can't imagine doing Iron man that's nuts.

MM

IMO any NoToil issues stem from user error. I've used it since it came out on many bikes as its a PIA to dispose of solvents here and I do a lot of filters. Problems come from being in a hurry and mounting the filter before its dry, or not mixing the bottle adequately. Also, if your cleaning a filter of petroleum based oil to use, you have to get ALL of it out. I've seen the NoToil not tack up properly in spots when it mixes with other residual oil. Once the filter is cleaned the first time this is usually cured as the NoToil carries the residual out. I batch process a few Twin Air filters and dry them on an old box fan layed down on some wood blocks. An hour or so and its evenly tacked up and will not pool in the bottom of the foam. When I wash the bike I use the airboot cover with a white rag stuffed in the airboot behind it for insurance. The airboot is always spotless and the rag never collects any dirt. I use the original Red oil and don't bother with the grease as there is quite a compression on the foam edge. Perhaps you have an airboot fit issue that requires grease to make up for it.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Previous

Return to Off Road Racer's Corner