NEPG Sandlapper

ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

NEPG Sandlapper

Postby redrider » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:57 am

It's remarkable how well the Sandlapper Enduro went with the amount of rain the night before the race. Sunday morning at 8am it was 34 degrees and lightly raining after raining sideways off and on during the night. Not parking my trailer in the field was looking like a really wise move. Have to admit I contemplated packing it up due to what I assumed the trail conditions would be like ( in VA that amount of rain makes serious mud ), but the SC sand soaked it up dumped it in all the low areas quickly enough. The fellas parked next to me drove 14 hours to race so it was hard to whine about my 7 hour drive.

I managed to pull off the 40B honors on the first stage and held the lead through the second. Being that the SC sand allows the water to drain off well it apparently gathers quickly in the low spots. Near the end of the 2nd stage a mild creek crossing became about 50 yards wide and flowing slowly over a road. I chose my crossing point poorly as it was at least 2 feet deep where I entered (surprise!). Just stayed on the throttle and filled my helmet with water through the face opening. Fortunately the gas break was after the 2nd stage so I was able to change out my jersey and jacket. Still leading at that point but a snag on the third stage dropped me to 2nd. Not having a brake-snake on the foot lever cost me when I wedged a small tree between the lever and the frame in a tight section (EE skid plate on it's way in the mail) and it bent my lever out slightly. Section 4 went fine, but in 5 the same thing happened again and dropped me to 3rd. 80% of the trail was in great shape in spite of the rain. Wide open all sand field sections were interesting as it went from saturated sand to powdery fluff and back several times in one 300-500 yard crossing. Open sand blasting isn't one of my best skills. Ended up 3rd in 40B and 24th of 170 in open B....good progress for me on non-mountain trail.

Up to 15 hours on the 2015 300RR and every time on it I'm better and have a bigger smile. This is the most fun ride I've ever owned! At first I would have said it takes more input to ride (and maybe it does), but at this point I don't even think about it.....just keep picking up speed.
redrider

Re: NEPG Sandlapper

Postby twowheels » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Great job Walt!
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby bmrev01 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 am

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing congrats.
bmrev01

Postby GMP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:28 am

Good job Walt, congrats. Did you do anything to seal up the airbox better? Its pretty much like a KTM, not the best for water crossings like that. I improved mine a great deal by sealing around the spars with rubber HV tape. I think if I did more stuff like that I would put a better seal on the side cover and mod it to use two botls/screws in place of the push fasteners for a tighter fit.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby redrider » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 am

Glenn, I haven't sealed up the airbox other than some black Gorilla tape under the fender. I was thinking of using some thin weather stripping inside of the cover along the seal but haven't decided how to pull the side cover tight against the stripping afterwards. Love the side access air box but it is a risk when you hit a creek.
redrider

Postby GMP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm

I did that exactly, thin strip of soft weatherstrip in the cover groove. It helps, but I still avoid water I wouldn't think twice about with an old style one piece "tub" airbox, like an older GG, YZ, Husky, etc.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Return to Off Road Racer's Corner