Just bought a 13 300rr

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Just bought a 13 300rr

Postby xa-mont » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey everyone,

Thought I might introduce myself.

I'm Travis, I'm from Bairnsdale in Victoria, Australia. I've just bought myself a 2013 300rr. It's the first 2 stroke i have owned, coming most recently from a KTM 525 EXC (I wanted more get up and go and less weight, cause i mainly ride single track)

I've only been for one ride so far and it was great... apart from the bit where i forgot that 2 strokes don't have engine braking and looped out a wheelie... and snapped the rear guard (that i was just telling my dad that a lot of people break :P) oh well quick learning curve.

The only other 2 stroke i've spend a decent amount of time on was a mates 13 KTM 300EXC, and comparing the 2, i think the KTM had a fair bit more low end torque, however from all the reviews and whatnot i read everyone says the opposite. is it possible that my bike has been tuned differently to provide more of the old 2 stroke powerband kick at the sacrifice of some low end? It's definitely a quick bike, and even on my first ride i was getting through my regular single tracks at a decent pace.

Thing's that i think i want to change/play with so far:
-tweek suspension (starting with sag and stock clicker settings and go from there)
-bar risers (im 6' tall), which may come in the form of the scotts damper off my KTM if the bar mount spacing is the same
-shorter gear lever, even on my first ride i found when standing up a was missing up shifts because my toe was just that tiny bit shy of the lever
-drop a tooth or 2 off the rear sprocket. i was kicking through the single track in 2nd or 3rd, if i could land 2nd somewhere inbetween my current 2nd and 3rd it'd be spot on i reckon.
-maybe try to get a little more low end out of it.

I'll post some picks of the best this arvo.

Cheers,
Trav
xa-mont

Re: Just bought a 13 300rr

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Welcome I'm sure the 2 banger pro's will pipe in (pun intended) with a whole pile of help and suggestions, also do some research about adjusting the power curve on your bike.

Marty
Marty Moose

Postby andoman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm

I, too, came off of a KTM 525 in favor of a 2T.
Two KTM 300's and two GG 300's later and I have an order in for a '16 Beta 250 Race.
Best advice I can give is to embrace its differences: use brakes instead of engine braking, wind it out instead of short-shifting, and gain confidence in the greater ability to change a line and late brake into corners.
In short, ride it a little more aggressively, a little more technically. If you do you will be richly rewarded. You will be able to go much faster yet expend much less energy.

Enjoy the ride!!!
andoman

Postby Mezcal » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Welcome, I was same same.. 4 strokes for years till the new 16 300 a couple of months ago.
You will quickly get used to it, and wonder why you waited so long to get one.
One of my favourite things about the 2t, it will not snuff out like a 4t can do in low revs - great for hills!
Mezcal

Postby xa-mont » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 am

andoman wrote:wind it out instead of short-shifting,

Haha. That's kind if part of the reason i got a 2t... I'm not known as the type to short shift, even when i had my drz400 :p (poor thing)

So i messed with some stuff today.
-Fitted the gpr steering damper i had sitting around which gives me a good inch of rise making it a lot more comfy to stand up on
- reset suspension to middle of the road settings
And the biggest change...
- set the power valve to factory 2.5 in from flush... There's that massive smooth torque curve I'd read about! It was set at flush and had a wicked kick.

Another mod I'll be doing is the fan. Even just scooting around the open paddocks it started to smell a bit coolantish. And it isn't even a hot day, so when I'm I tight single track on 35°c days I'm sure it'd be boiling. Anyone know if they fit with the force rad guards?

Cheers for the advice so far. I know I'm going to love the shit out of this bike. Next ride will be my regular 70km single track loop on Sunday!
xa-mont

Postby iamovru » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:38 am

xa-mont wrote:
andoman wrote:wind it out instead of short-shifting,

Haha. That's kind if part of the reason i got a 2t... I'm not known as the type to short shift, even when i had my drz400 :p (poor thing)

So i messed with some stuff today.
-Fitted the gpr steering damper i had sitting around which gives me a good inch of rise making it a lot more comfy to stand up on
- reset suspension to middle of the road settings
And the biggest change...
- set the power valve to factory 2.5 in from flush... There's that massive smooth torque curve I'd read about! It was set at flush and had a wicked kick.

Another mod I'll be doing is the fan. Even just scooting around the open paddocks it started to smell a bit coolantish. And it isn't even a hot day, so when I'm I tight single track on 35°c days I'm sure it'd be boiling. Anyone know if they fit with the force rad guards?

Cheers for the advice so far. I know I'm going to love the shit out of this bike. Next ride will be my regular 70km single track loop on Sunday!

Welcome

Maybe you should flush the coolant system before you buy a fan. Beta 300`s dont over heat! KTM 300`s do ;)

Have fun
2015 Beta 300 RR Race :)
2015 350XC-F that is far from stock
2011 GasGas 300EC ( STOLEN BY A SCUM BAG!)
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500

Member-(BCORMA)
iamovru

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

I agree on the overheating, never have had mine overheat even when beating on it in the slow and steep. I would go thru the cooling system and check it, maybe something as simple as a small leak hitting the exhaust or as suggested flush the system. Enjoy!
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby andoman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 am

Before you spend too much time troubleshooting the cooling system, make sure that it was not over serviced.
If filled much a above the top of the fins, normal heat will cause it to puke a tad of the coolant out until it reaches a normalized volume.
Unless its truly overheating and boiling, just ride it. Its likely that it will stop expelling coolant on its own.
On all my KTM's I had to run a coolant recovery bottle. Never had to run one on any of my GG's.
If you decide it is indeed running hot, look at jetting first. Then consider a coolant recovery bottle. A fan would be the last resort in my opinion.
andoman

Postby GMP » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Agree. 2 stroke Betas are among the most boil resistant bikes out there. Even with rad guard grills, slow trail in summer heat, no problems ever. Check the coolant, and you can bleed any trapped air from the bolt on the top of the right rad.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Make sure you check the rear spring, 13's came with 4.8's which was not good. new ones come with 5.2's, and if you are much over 175lbs, you need more.
Knox Enduro

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements