Dual Sport Bike ?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Dual Sport Bike ?

Postby Dirt Dud » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 pm

So I stopped at South Mountain and checked out his inventory . They really have a nice selection of dirt bikes . I am looking at a 4 stroke that can be used at some events and just to take out after work to go explore . This bike will be 50% on road 50% off road so the left over 2015 500 carb bike is a nice bike . They also have a nice 450 Sherco that looks like a good choice ,both seem to have a good price so I am interested in what the Beta 500 pluses are . I have some great offroad bikes now so a big 4 stroke will not be an enduro bike just a 2 track / dual sport bike . If someone knows of a great used bike let me know . Thanks for any help !
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Re: Dual Sport Bike ?

Postby ricoyam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:50 am

Well you are asking on a Beta forum so I doubt you'll get many votes for the Sherco. I don't know much about them but the choice would be easy for me. Sherco doesn't have any presence in my area. For me the choice was between the Beta and KTM. Husky could have been in there too but my first two choices were certainly the Beta and KTM. Both are good enough that I didn't see the need to look any further.

I've ridden KTMs since when they were still called Pentons but also have a love of Italian machinery dating back nearly as far with my first Alfa Romeo in 1974. I've owned several Ducatis since 1980 having as many as 4 in my garage at once for a few years. Currently I have a Hypermotard 1100S, Bimota DB2, Mazzilli 125, SWM 125 and 250, Gilera 124, Stornello 125 and a Simonini 250. Another factor leading me to the Beta was that lately dual sport events have become a sea of orange. It's much easier to find my Beta in the parking lot. The final tip of the scale came from talking to Beta owners who were mainly trials riders and the great reviews the Enduro models were getting in the magazines.

I've had my 430 RS for just over a year and can't find any real faults with the bike. The 500 is gruntier but I chose the 430 for its revvier, peppier feel. My other modern dirt bike is a KTM 200 EXC. The current Betas are well designed and built with quality components and easy to work on. A great recipie for a top level bike.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Dirt Dud » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 am

Rick are the 430 and the 500 the same basic engine ? Does the 430 bike like to ride long stretches of 50 miles per hour riding ? I am partial to the Beta also because it has been around for awhile and the Sherco is new . I have owned 5 Betas in my years and they all were very good bikes but they were also trials bikes , the Shercos have been good also but did need more attention . I will not purchase an orange bike so it is TM ,Sherco ,or Beta as a choice . Of the three the Beta would be the most common and has the most choices in the 4 stroke range . So are the smaller Beta 4 strokes a good choice ? Will they be a good dual sport bike since I do not need it to be the best northeast single tract bike . If they did not have such a great bunch of bikes at South Mountain I doubt I would be content with my current stable of bikes . But I am so weak when it comes to new bikes !
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby Knox Enduro » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:52 am

Of the three you mentioned, the Beta is the best choice hands down for the riding you want to do. Betas are already proven, especially the big 4 strokes. They are so versatile, I have a customer that rides his 520 in technical single track. Another took his carbureted 520 to colorado to ride and didn't even need to re-jet.
The Shercos are showing promise, but the 450's are somewhat of an unknown quantity, and the importer seems to change direction a lot.
TM's are beautiful, great bikes, but I think more suited to the serious racer.
You can't go wrong with any of the Beta 4 strokes, even the 350.
Knox Enduro

Postby ricoyam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Dirt Dud wrote:Rick are the 430 and the 500 the same basic engine ? Does the 430 bike like to ride long stretches of 50 miles per hour riding ? I am partial to the Beta also because it has been around for awhile and the Sherco is new . I have owned 5 Betas in my years and they all were very good bikes but they were also trials bikes , the Shercos have been good also but did need more attention . I will not purchase an orange bike so it is TM ,Sherco ,or Beta as a choice . Of the three the Beta would be the most common and has the most choices in the 4 stroke range . So are the smaller Beta 4 strokes a good choice ? Will they be a good dual sport bike since I do not need it to be the best northeast single tract bike . If they did not have such a great bunch of bikes at South Mountain I doubt I would be content with my current stable of bikes . But I am so weak when it comes to new bikes !

The 4T engines share more than they differ.
I don't know about running all day at 50 mph but I'm sure it would do it. I've ridden mine to work a couple of times, a 12-13 mile freeway run with no problem. That's at 65-70 mph. My boss did the Trans America Trail last summer with a group put together by James Embro. James set up Beta 500s for everyone. They didn't have any problems and I'm sure they were running that kind of speed averages. Chris has a KTM 500 and I joked with him that he'd like the Beta so much he'd sell the KTM and keep the Beta. I was half right, he's keeping both. Us riding KTMs is a little political though as Motion Pro does a bunch of exclusive tools for them and we participate in their dealer rides and meetings.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby MBevans » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 pm

If you really are a 50/50 rider, get the largest displacement you are comfortable on. the 2015 Beta 500 carbed bike is a very nice choice. I ride a 2014 450RS with lower gearing as the RS bikes come with silly tall gearing. 50mph is much better than 65-70mph for longevity. Wheel bearings/TIRES take a pounding at 65mph, I run on pavement 50-55mph max and by all means have your tires/wheels balanced! Modern dirt tires fade fast at higher street speeds.
MBevans

Postby kevinperry » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:07 am

Hello,

I am new to the Beta forum .I just took delivery of my 2016 beta 480 rr. I am using the bike for dual purpose riding. The 480 has no problem what so ever doing 60mph on the open road with the 15/45 gearing ... I dare say its almost to tall of gearing. Love the new bike ! Light, easy to ride ...the power ..so addictive .
2 vices for dual purpose ... smallish tank and that seat ! I have the bigger tank on order and a seat concepts seat coming to fix those problems.

KP
kevinperry

Postby ricoyam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:04 pm

kevinperry wrote:Hello,

I am new to the Beta forum .I just took delivery of my 2016 beta 480 rr. I am using the bike for dual purpose riding. The 480 has no problem what so ever doing 60mph on the open road with the 15/45 gearing ... I dare say its almost to tall of gearing. Love the new bike ! Light, easy to ride ...the power ..so addictive .
2 vices for dual purpose ... smallish tank and that seat ! I have the bigger tank on order and a seat concepts seat coming to fix those problems.

KP

If you get into some tighter single track the gearing will be too tall.
Definitely need the big tank.
I found the problem with the Seat Concepts seat is that you will tend to get lazy and sit too much. It is a big help for longer dual sport rides though. I still use the stock seat for most of my one day trail rides. I've ridden KTMs and ATKs for the past 20+ years so the Beta seat actually is a bit better right off the floor and it does break in after several rides.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby Dirt Dud » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:03 pm

There is a 2015 500 carb bike at a good price is the fuel injection worth the extra money ? I ride in the Northeast US and do not have elevations to deal with ?
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby kevinperry » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:43 pm

ricoyam wrote:
kevinperry wrote:Hello,

KP

If you get into some tighter single track the gearing will be too tall.
Definitely need the big tank.
I found the problem with the Seat Concepts seat is that you will tend to get lazy and sit too much. It is a big help for longer dual sport rides though. I still use the stock seat for most of my one day trail rides. I've ridden KTMs and ATKs for the past 20+ years so the Beta seat actually is a bit better right off the floor and it does break in after several rides.

Gearing .... going 15/47 for open road and 13/47 for trail use .
kevinperry

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements