Heavy clutch

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Heavy clutch

Postby Johnno » Sat May 28, 2016 4:25 am

Look, I have to say in all the reviews I read about the Beta when compared to the Orange bike it was all about the clutch being heavier..

Mine feels fine. I don't work in an office though.

But if its really silly hard or has gone harder than it was, I'd pull the tank off and look at the line, maybe bleed it, put better oil in it.

Call another dealer maybe.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby MorBeta » Sun May 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Johnno wrote:Look, I have to say in all the reviews I read about the Beta when compared to the Orange bike it was all about the clutch being heavier..

Mine feels fine. I don't work in an office though.

But if its really silly hard or has gone harder than it was, I'd pull the tank off and look at the line, maybe bleed it, put better oil in it.

Call another dealer maybe.

I agree.

I ride my vintage bikes more than my Beta, and so when I do the ride Beta and work the clutch and brakes, I feel like I've died and gone to bike heaven. Ride an old Maico, Penton, Husqvarna and a 78 or 79 KTM 400, and THEN you'll appreciate a BETA clutch and disc brakes. I had an 05 and 08 KTM -- and yeah maybe the clutch might've been tiny bit lighter, but if so, it was negligible. In the grand scheme of things it's nothing -- and except for my battery dying on my Beta, I have zero complaints about this bike.
Earn it!
Bikes: 17 Beta 300RR, 69 Maico 360, 71 Maico 400, 78 & 79 Maico 400 GS, 73 DKW 125 Enduro, 74 Rokon RT340, 77 Penton 250 GS6, 78 & 79 KTM 400 GS, 82 & 83 HUS 430WR, 96 KAW KDX 200
MorBeta

Postby katoom400 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:56 pm

I've been running a rekluse since day one, and I don't know why but the rekluse makes the lever pull harder?

so I went with the MME lever to try and help reduce the lever pull, but the MME doesn't get enough throw....I have to have the lever all the way to the bar and the reach is excessive. probably something to do with the rekluse slave.

I'm getting into trials riding and gonna try and apply some of those skills to my 300rr, so I'm going to remove the rekluse this weekend and I just got my clake one light clutch. I figured I would install it with the rekluse in there to see how light it makes the pull with the core exp and rekluse slave. I would say it's about even with the MME but doesn't use as much throw.....

I'm hoping it will get one finger easy once I install the oem clutch. has anyone tried the one light clutch with a Rekluse installed vs stock clutch?
katoom400

Postby merlin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 pm

I have a 2016 300rr and I find the clutch significantly heavier than the KTM I had previously.

When I get into the tight and technical stuff, I often find myself using 2 fingers and a few times, at the end of a full days riding, have barely been able to activate the clutch without wincing.

I've ordered the Mid West Lever and hope the throw isn't too bad.

I would have liked the Clake, but that's just a bit too $$$-y for me at the moment.

I'll report back once I've given the MW lever a good thrashing
merlin

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:20 am

merlin wrote:I have a 2016 300rr and I find the clutch significantly heavier than the KTM I had previously.

When I get into the tight and technical stuff, I often find myself using 2 fingers and a few times, at the end of a full days riding, have barely been able to activate the clutch without wincing.

I would have liked the Clake, but that's just a bit too $$$-y for me at the moment.

I liked the midwest lever, but it seemed I needed to have it adjusted all the way out to get enough throw to separate the clutch pack, maybe it was just a rekluse thing...but it made it so I had to reach way out to grab the lever and pull all the way to the bar to disengage the clutch.

I bit the bullet and bought the one light clutch because I planned on removing the Rekluse and giving the manual clutch a go for a while....unfortunately 10 years of riding without having to use the clutch lever left me pretty weak fingered!

Yes it is expensive but isn't everything? seems like a new brembo MC is about $200 so the Clake One Light shipped to me for just under $300 wasn't too bad. and I had it in 4 days from Australia to NJ!
katoom400

Postby doolin64 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:36 am

I need to give it some time with Midwest, but I wasn't blown away. It is a lighter pull, but having such a small window of engagment leaves me thinking it's going to be tough to feather the clutch. I actually pulled it off after a test ride around my neighborhood. Cut down my stock lever and shifted it over for 1 or 2 finger use. I'm going to try this for a ride before I put the midwest back on.
doolin64

Postby Marylander » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:52 am

katoom400 wrote:I liked the midwest lever, but it seemed I needed to have it adjusted all the way out to get enough throw to separate the clutch pack, maybe it was just a rekluse thing...but it made it so I had to reach way out to grab the lever and pull all the way to the bar to disengage the clutch.

I bit the bullet and bought the one light clutch because I planned on removing the Rekluse and giving the manual clutch a go for a while....unfortunately 10 years of riding without having to use the clutch lever left me pretty weak fingered!

Yes it is expensive but isn't everything? seems like a new brembo MC is about $200 so the Clake One Light shipped to me for just under $300 wasn't too bad. and I had it in 4 days from Australia to NJ!

One thing they say on their site is that the lever is an "investment". That just about sold me. I don't need much of an excuse... I'm still on the fence right now though. It's cheaper than a rekluse and would still allow me to do more technical things that the rekluse precludes.
Marylander

Postby merlin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Yeah, I'm looking at $560 NZD for the one light clutch shipped to NZ....which is a little hard to swallow.

I'll wait to see if the MW lever is any good. If it's really still not working for me, I'll splash out on the Clake.

I'm mainly just surprised at the Beta for having such a heavy clutch...especially after owning one of their trials bikes, which had the lightest pull on the planet!! :)

katoom400 wrote:
merlin wrote:I have a 2016 300rr and I find the clutch significantly heavier than the KTM I had previously.

I liked the midwest lever, but it seemed I needed to have it adjusted all the way out to get enough throw to separate the clutch pack, maybe it was just a rekluse thing...but it made it so I had to reach way out to grab the lever and pull all the way to the bar to disengage the clutch.

merlin

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:14 pm

That Midwest lever is no different than the first EE levers that came out for the early juice clutch KTMs. Just a leverage ratio change, you trade travel for effort. The Clake is different and I'd like to check it out for the engineering if nothing else. I suspect it stores energy via spring on release to assist on pull, but that's just a guess.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Bandicoot » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Im on my 3rd bike using the Clake One Light Pull and am loving it still, have 2 bikes both using the Clake on them.
One of my Clake's just gets transfer'd from bike to bike as I said Im on my 3rd now ...
When you see everyone at the end of the day struggling with clutch & bike control coz of a fatigued hand, the Clake keeps me smiling :)
Just one point to make if you adjust it to be to light you might find yourself starting to loose some feel with the clutch operation, I use mine so its no more than about 30% lighter pull only to stop fatigue in the fingers on a ride.
I also like the one finger lever so all of your hand is still on the bars & in control :)

The Clake isnt just another expensive tool its a investment to your future of comfortable riding ... :lol:
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements