2016 500RS?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

2016 500RS?

Postby dslbrnr » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Everyone, New to the forum. I'm an older (56) veteran rider and am considering a 500RS in the very near future. Long story short, I sold my Yamaha 09 WR250F to get a street legal 2016 KTM 350exc for the purpose of dual sport. After about two months of ownership and dealing with KTM warranty I was done and sold the bike. Engine/trans performance was good, I just didn't care for the handling overall. I'm not a super aggressive rider anymore so maybe that was the problem.

I'm also on the shorter side at 5'6" 160 Lbs. so the lower seat height of the Beta will be nice. I really don't need the extra power of a 500 but am able to get a good deal on a 2016 500RS. It appears that the smaller CC bikes weigh and sit about the same height as the larger engine models. I will be getting a low seat as well but don't like the lowering link method as it kills the handling.

I owned a Honda CRF450X before the WR250F but sold it because it just felt too heavy for me to muscle around the SO CA desert.

Do you all think I'll have any regrets with getting the 500RS being my size?

I mainly do enduro rides and desert exploring and hill climbing. About 75% off road!

Thanks up front.
2016 500RS, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Cycra Handguards, Cleaned Up Tail Section, 13T/50T Gearing, IMS 3.1 Gal Fuel Tank
dslbrnr

Re: 2016 500RS?

Postby Johnno » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 pm

I'd want to ride one first if I was your size to see if the overall package suited you enough to warrant modifying the ride height.

With throttle tamer etc the power could tailored to suit.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Showtime477 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:47 am

I think you will be happy with the 500 RS. I am 5'8" 180lbs and my riding buddy picked up a 2016 500 and the power is great and the handling equally as good. Get the bike, you won't regret it. BTW, I ride a 2014 Beta 400 as a reference. Good luck on your decision.
Showtime477

Postby dslbrnr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. I went out and picked one up today and wow it is a great bike. I'm not sure if I even need to cut the seat down, that 1 1/2" lower then the orange bike is nice. I'm just riding around the local streets getting some easy break-in miles but it just feels much more balanced. I installed the 13T front sprocket and the gearing feels much better for desert/mountain riding. Engine runs smooth and shifts perfect through the gears. It's going to take some time to get used to the Trail Tech GPS/Speedo. The RPM readout doesn't seem real accurate but not a big deal.

So far I ordered the Cycra Probend handguards and eye balling the Enduro Engineering skid plate.

Anything else you guys recommend?
2016 500RS, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Cycra Handguards, Cleaned Up Tail Section, 13T/50T Gearing, IMS 3.1 Gal Fuel Tank
dslbrnr

Postby palada » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 am

dslbrnr wrote:So far I ordered the Cycra Probend handguards and eye balling the Enduro Engineering skid plate.

Anything else you guys recommend?

I picked up the Boano skid plate for mine. Not a whole lot of coverage, but it's feather light. On my bike, the turn signals were flopping out of the mounts the first ride. I don't know if it was just my bike or not, but you'll probably want to replace those (I went with Sicass flush mounts).
palada

Postby dslbrnr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks for the tips. Are you guys running any for slider protectors, like seal saver neoprene boots etc? I have had rocks hang on the tire and chip or ding the fork slider tubes and cause premature seal leaks on previous bikes. Also may need a larger fuel tank, this bike has an appetite for good fuel!!

So far my Trail tech Voyager tach doesn't seem to work right as the tach jumps around and doesn't seem accurate but not real concerned there. My low fuel light stays on constantly also. I guess I'll have to take it in soon for warranty.

I just hit three hours so I'll change oils, check valve adjustment and head torque per the manual.

So far I'm loving this bike, it runs great and seems well balanced. Can't wait to hit the trails and give her some scratches.
dslbrnr

Postby ricoyam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 am

The Voyager leaves a bit to be desired. Worst of all is the small screen. If you need a GPS I'd strongly recommend a Garmin Montana. The speedo and odo works fine but can be a bit fiddly until you get really used to using it.
The big tank is a necessity for dual sporting or Enduro work. For trail riding it'll depend on how far you venture from your truck.
I run Sicass spoilers on the Probends. The Sicass jobs have the integrated turn indicators. On the rear I run the Sicass flush mounts. They don't fit perfectly but close enough and don't get in the way. If you are going to put on radiator guards, I really like the Bulletproof ones. If I ever replace mine that's what I'll go with. I also run a Scotts steering damper.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby dslbrnr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks ricoyam, how was the Scott's steering stabilizer install on the Beta? Did you have to put on the top mount type (on top of the bar)?
Are the radiator braces a must or is the stock mount pretty strong? Also did you modify the stock tail section where the license plate mounts?
Cycra didn't recommend the Probends for the Beta, there suggestion was the Pro's with "U" brackets which seem to fit fine! My other bikes used the Probends.

I checked the valve clearance today and all was in spec :D. That rear top motor mount is kind of a pain to remove and install as the holes don't line up perfect. I didn't want to cross thread anything so I put the large bolt/nut in last and had to lightly tap it in.
Thanks
dslbrnr

Postby ricoyam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 am

dslbrnr wrote:Thanks ricoyam, how was the Scott's steering stabilizer install on the Beta? Did you have to put on the top mount type (on top of the bar)?
Are the radiator braces a must or is the stock mount pretty strong? Also did you modify the stock tail section where the license plate mounts?
Cycra didn't recommend the Probends for the Beta, there suggestion was the Pro's with "U" brackets which seem to fit fine! My other bikes used the Probends.

I checked the valve clearance today and all was in spec :D. That rear top motor mount is kind of a pain to remove and install as the holes don't line up perfect. I didn't want to cross thread anything so I put the large bolt/nut in last and had to lightly tap it in.
Thanks

I am using the sub mount. Also the bar clamp center mount for the Probends. The Probends did take some twisting and bending to fit.
Guys keep referring to the radiator guards as braces. For me they are guards, protecting the radiators in the case of a fall or crash. A must? Not really, modern bikes have the radiators mounted pretty high but most bikes more than a few years old will have some damage to the radiators.
I have a 430, Chris has a 500. The 500 is harder to do the valves on, the engine is just a bit taller. Yup the cylinder head stabilizers take a certain sequence to ge back on.
A well prepared shop you'll want a spare cam cover gasket and the countershaft screw,spacer, o-ring and seal. These parts are the same as the KTM sprocket parts and the KTM are prone to leaking over time. Haven't had any problem with either Beta yet but...... Dirt Tricks also make a replacement washer of a higher grade and reusable.
My and Chris' bikes are '15. I removed the rear fender extension and mounted the plate vertically on a carbon fiber backing plate I made. It goes on the retained tail light/plate mount.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby dslbrnr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks ricoyam, I've been looking at that rear taillight mess trying to figure out how to clean it up. Would it be possible to post a pic or two?

I greased up the wheel seals today and the rear shock rocker linkage bearings. They had a small amount of white grease but seals were nearly dry. I couldn't get the lower shock mount bearing sleeves out easily so I left those alone for now. I still need to grease those steering head bearings.

I ordered an Enduro Engineering skid plate and a IMS 3 gallon tank today. Hopefully I won't need to spend too much more.
dslbrnr

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements