Kenda IBEX

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Kenda IBEX

Postby Cruiser » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:29 pm

The mmh worked great for two years,, I'll look into this a bit more but so far the reviews on this new one say it's lighter than the mmh. I may just end up back with maxxis. They were the best all around yet. I only like the tt type when going straight up rocks. Fast switchbacks suck, but the mmh was really great in the sugar sand of jersey. I'm going to decide this week. Not the biggest fan of the tubliss just due to all the pia stuff setting up, mounting the first time. And I ripped one loose with the mmh, tore the lock/fill stud right out of it.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby typeone » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:40 am

Hammer wrote:The Arena screams Ok on all types of terrain. Not great for anything.

raced a Sprint Enduro yesterday with the Arena mounted... i didn't like it at all. it's tall and skinny which messed with my brake/gas switchback cornering feel. it did better when the terrain dried up a little and you were climbing in a straight line, but in the morning when it was wet, it was slipping more than i thought it would. ran 5-8psi throughout the day.

going back to my preferred do-it-all the Tractionator Enduro S/T.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby HRRacing » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33 am

typeone wrote:
Hammer wrote:The Arena screams Ok on all types of terrain. Not great for anything.

raced a Sprint Enduro yesterday with the Arena mounted... i didn't like it at all. it's tall and skinny which messed with my brake/gas switchback cornering feel. it did better when the terrain dried up a little and you were climbing in a straight line, but in the morning when it was wet, it was slipping more than i thought it would. ran 5-8psi throughout the day.

What size Arena did you try? What was trail conditions; roots, ruts, rocks, log crossings? Hill climbs? Do you think it's not a good "race" tire but good trail tire? Just looking for more detailed feedback. I'm interested in trying one.
HRRacing

Postby typeone » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am

HRRacing wrote:
typeone wrote:

What size Arena did you try? What was trail conditions; roots, ruts, rocks, log crossings? Hill climbs? Do you think it's not a good "race" tire but good trail tire? Just looking for more detailed feedback. I'm interested in trying one.

tried the 110/100-18, it is noticeably skinnier and taller than the Tractionators, maybe the 120 would have been better? not sure. i suspect that riders that like trials tires would maybe like the Arena more than i did.

yes, terrain was mixed from wet, slick switchbacks, roots, rocky up/down hills, few ruts but nothing deep, no log crossings. the race was held at my local riding area so i know the terrain well and how other tires have performed. it's not like the tire was crazy terrible, it just didn't seem to perform as well as i was used to.

as the trails started to dry out (a little), it did better on the rocky hill climbs but the corners is where i really felt the most difference. it would slide very easily when leaned over a bit. that bugged me a lot. it made me lose confidence on sections i usually feel great on. to be fair, it was very slick in the morning but i've ridden that area in pouring rain a few times before. Tractionators always did great.

i'm an upper-mid pack C-level rider so 'race' and 'trail ride' end up being pretty similar :D i don't putt around and can have some great days but i'm not an A/B level ripper.

if most of your terrain is rocks, roots, trees and generally straight rather than leaned over a lot, i bet it would do better.
typeone

Postby HRRacing » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks. Very helpful information. I to have had good luck with the Tractionators. But I can't help myself to try a new Motoz. I put over 1100 miles on MH, all trail in all different conditions. Overall it did well. Some conditions/terrain it performed excellent, some not so well. My riding areas terrain and conditions differ a lot. I actually should have about 3-4 different tires. I just hate changing them!
HRRacing

Postby typeone » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:55 pm

HRRacing wrote:Thanks. Very helpful information. I to have had good luck with the Tractionators. But I can't help myself to try a new Motoz. I put over 1100 miles on MH, all trail in all different conditions. Overall it did well. Some conditions/terrain it performed excellent, some not so well. My riding areas terrain and conditions differ a lot. I actually should have about 3-4 different tires. I just hate changing them!

cool, no problem ... on changing, the Arena was cake to mount up :D
typeone

Postby GMP » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 pm

HRRacing wrote:Thanks. Very helpful information. I to have had good luck with the Tractionators. But I can't help myself to try a new Motoz. I put over 1100 miles on MH, all trail in all different conditions. Overall it did well. Some conditions/terrain it performed excellent, some not so well. My riding areas terrain and conditions differ a lot. I actually should have about 3-4 different tires. I just hate changing them!

Keep your eye out for a spare wheel, makes life a lot easier. Italian Husky right drive or KTM.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby HRRacing » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Mslow wrote:Looking for some feedback on the Kenda IBEX, has anyone had a chance to put some hours on one yet?
A very fast and skilled friend of mine seems to like his, curious to hear more reviews before I pull the trigger and try one.

Went on good ride today in some light mud, slick rock and root trails today. My brother had on an IBEX. We traded bikes for awhile. I was extremely impressed with the performance of the IBEX in the conditions we encountered. I only rode on it for about 5-7 miles, so I wouldn't say my review is valid, but just want want to share that I think it's a great tire. I think it'd be great for wet winter conditions. I'd be curious to see how it performs in dry conditions.
HRRacing

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 am

I put the IBEX on and rode monday.. lots have been saying they work great locally.. it was between this or the shinko cheater.. which I have waiting on the side... I'm guessing both ought to be similar. It's been raining these few weeks so it's a bit muddy and slippery. It seemed to work good but want to ride more to figure where the pressure should be and where it works better and where it doesn't. It's good but it's expensive for here.. so right now it's not that much better than my maxxis IT which is much cheaper tire that I just took off.. but the ibex is working good.. plus.. most tires when brand new aren't that bad.. more testing... I like it.. but still need to ride it more. to be able to compare to other tires that work good locally.. wondering how they work compared to the shinko. I think the shinko has more tread area touching the ground.. wonder if it makes much difference.. the rubber feels soft like the shinko too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwmzlWEscA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHzuieCjzw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HD6L93fXg4
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Cruiser » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 am

hawaiidirtrider wrote:I put the IBEX on and rode monday.. lots have been saying they work great locally.. it was between this or the shinko cheater.. which I have waiting on the side... I'm guessing both ought to be similar. It's been raining these few weeks so it's a bit muddy and slippery. It seemed to work good but want to ride more to figure where the pressure should be and where it works better and where it doesn't. It's good but it's expensive for here.. so right now it's not that much better than my maxxis IT which is much cheaper tire that I just took off.. but the ibex is working good.. plus.. most tires when brand new aren't that bad.. more testing... I like it.. but still need to ride it more. to be able to compare to other tires that work good locally.. wondering how they work compared to the shinko. I think the shinko has more tread area touching the ground.. wonder if it makes much difference.. the rubber feels soft like the shinko too.

How long did you get out of your maxxis it's? On my 525 they worked great in jersey sand to the rock trails I'm regularly on. The first picks in this thread of Richard on his honda, been riding these trails for years so a bit rocky. I was riding the 525 to the trails from the house and the IT held up rather well. But It was a heavy bike and thinking weather this tire would do well on my 350. I have a set of the kendas on it now I hate after only one ride.Cant remember what tires they were. But put them on for a sand run in jersey and had trouble in every corner.. which in sand almost any brand new knobby is good for a little while.nope.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements