2017 390RR-S Review

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: 2017 390RR-S Review

Postby ghostrider197 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Mgcar. & Beta Joc,
Thanks for the great reviews. Glad to be member not only to talk Beta but for great insight like above.
Thx, Ghost
ghostrider197

Postby mrquick68 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:56 pm

I have a '17 390RR RE on order as well. I will have seat time on her shortly as she'll be shipping out of the BYOY program this week. I'm pretty stoked. Went for it on this build! :o I sure hope I like it! I plan to race her good!! Full A-kit suspension, lots of trick upgrades, Ti bolt kit, and lots of LW parts. Giddy! :lol:

I chose the 390 for the "electric" feel of the longer stroke motor. Not as much hit, just strong, linear power that won't wear me out, but will have plenty of poop to keep me competitive.
2018 Beta 250RR RE - Beta Factory suspension kit, Tubliss, FMF Fatty, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt!
2019 Beta 390RR RE - BYOB Ohlins A-Kit, Tubliss, FMF exhaust, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt, Ti bolt kit, and more!
mrquick68

Postby HRRacing » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am

mrquick68 wrote:I have a '17 390RR RE on order as well. I will have seat time on her shortly as she'll be shipping out of the BYOY program this week. I'm pretty stoked. Went for it on this build! :o I sure hope I like it! I plan to race her good!! Full A-kit suspension, lots of trick upgrades, Ti bolt kit, and lots of LW parts. Giddy! :lol:

I chose the 390 for the "electric" feel of the longer stroke motor. Not as much hit, just strong, linear power that won't wear me out, but will have plenty of poop to keep me competitive.

I see you're in Washington. I'm in Oregon, so our terrain is similar. In fact I ride some Washington areas. I'm very interested in your ride reports. Let me know. Of course, we have to wait to get out of this snow & ice straggle hold!
HRRacing

Postby mrquick68 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 am

HRRacing wrote:
mrquick68 wrote:I have a '17 390RR RE on order as well. I will have seat time on her shortly as she'll be shipping out of the BYOY program this week. I'm pretty stoked. Went for it on this build! :o I sure hope I like it! I plan to race her good!! Full A-kit suspension, lots of trick upgrades, Ti bolt kit, and lots of LW parts. Giddy! :lol:

I see you're in Washington. I'm in Oregon, so our terrain is similar. In fact I ride some Washington areas. I'm very interested in your ride reports. Let me know. Of course, we have to wait to get out of this snow & ice straggle hold!

will do!
2018 Beta 250RR RE - Beta Factory suspension kit, Tubliss, FMF Fatty, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt!
2019 Beta 390RR RE - BYOB Ohlins A-Kit, Tubliss, FMF exhaust, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt, Ti bolt kit, and more!
mrquick68

Postby betajuice » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:43 pm

love that long stroke motor. a few of us got to ride RR390 i had for a few days and everyone said they could ride so much better on it, even though it didn't feel as fast because it doesn't have that snappy response of so many modern thumpers.

someone included a link to traction erag's 2017 preview of the beta thumpers, there's also a good review of the 2016 range here that contrasted the four strokes well:

http://www.tractionerag.ca/maypril/
betajuice

Postby mgcardoc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 pm

I just took delivery of my new 2017 390 Race Edition. I don't know if there any differences in the motor to the RR-S but the jury is IN on this bike. I am loving it. The first day (after a good break in ride with several cool downs, I hit the single track. What an incredible motor! I just came off a KTM 350 XC-F so I was very worried that the motor wouldn't live up to my expectations. Wrong. This thing is smooth (no vibration), fast, and extremely predictable. I found a huge steep rocky loose hill that I have made a mess out of before on other bikes and against my better judgment I roasted up it. When I got to the worst spot, I downshifted to 1rst and simply chugged right up it. Barely spun a tire. Then when I hit a sand wash and opened it up it flat out ripped! Love the chassis, the handling, the turning and all the stock accessories. It comes with a horn, lights, spark arrestor, electric and kick start, skid plate, hand guards, map switch, nice odometer and much more. (What's with the cheesy little 2 gallon gas tank?)
Now its off to the suspension shop to get those closed chamber forks plushened up and then we'll see how it does in the really rocky stuff. So far, so very good.
mgcardoc

Postby mrquick68 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 am

mgcardoc wrote:I just took delivery of my new 2017 390 Race Edition. I don't know if there any differences in the motor to the RR-S but the jury is IN on this bike. I am loving it. The first day (after a good break in ride with several cool downs, I hit the single track. What an incredible motor! I just came off a KTM 350 XC-F so I was very worried that the motor wouldn't live up to my expectations. Wrong. This thing is smooth (no vibration), fast, and extremely predictable. I found a huge steep rocky loose hill that I have made a mess out of before on other bikes and against my better judgment I roasted up it. When I got to the worst spot, I downshifted to 1rst and simply chugged right up it. Barely spun a tire. Then when I hit a sand wash and opened it up it flat out ripped! Love the chassis, the handling, the turning and all the stock accessories. It comes with a horn, lights, spark arrestor, electric and kick start, skid plate, hand guards, map switch, nice odometer and much more. (What's with the cheesy little 2 gallon gas tank?)
Now its off to the suspension shop to get those closed chamber forks plushened up and then we'll see how it does in the really rocky stuff. So far, so very good.

Great post! Glad you are loving the 390. I take delivery of mine tomorrow!!! Super stoked to ride this ripper.
mrquick68

Postby mrquick68 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Finally found some dirt without snow on it. The 390RR is awesome!! The motor is so smooth, very low vibration. Super tractable power, and very linear power. Much stronger feeling than the 350 I road last year. My BYOB Factory Suspension is legit too. Wow, I'm impressed overall with this bike!! :D
mrquick68

Postby Tori » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:54 am

Sounds like a beast. The 390 would be my pic among the 4-strokes and I'll be getting one when my Husky dies.

What's your mileage like on that thing?
Tori

Postby mrquick68 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 am

Tori wrote:Sounds like a beast. The 390 would be my pic among the 4-strokes and I'll be getting one when my Husky dies.

What's your mileage like on that thing?

I road for two hours straight, pretty good clip with a good amount of full throttle blasts (short duration - seating the rings), and used about a gallon. I probably road 25 miles or more.
mrquick68

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements