Clutch slipping on WOT??

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Clutch slipping on WOT??

Postby samw5 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 am

Bike: 2013 450RR
Mileage: 900mi

I just noticed this potential issue yesterday during a road/offroad ride.

When WOT it feels like the bike is revving much more quickly while not essentially accelerating as hard as it does with half throttle.

I never noticed this as in the dirt it can feel like tirespin but while on the road it literally feels that the clutch is slipping. Still about to hit 50-60mph w/o issues but opening it up on the road just gets the engine rev/w/o strong acceleration.

I have aftermarket lever which I've checked since it was hitting my handguards however it still doesn't seem to be binding. I don't know if the stock springs can be replaced with stiffer units and whether this would help.

The previous owner had swapped it with a Rekluse EXP but then returned to stock. I haven't (and don't know if I will) put the Rekluse back in yet but before opening up the clutch to check the specs on the pack I wanted to see if there was anything else to check... or if the engine revving is normal.

Bike feels like it's running just fine otherwise and pulls strong off the line.
samw5

Re: Clutch slipping on WOT??

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am

There is a possibility that it was re-assembled incorrectly, not much of a job to take it down and check. I have not had any experience with the exp but have the cx in my 300; my 300 feels as though it hooks up even better than stock.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Clearvu1 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am

While you have it apart go ahead and check the wear specs and look for scorching on the metals. If the metals look ok you can take a piece of sand paper and rough up the fibers to break any glazing that may have developed, assuming there is adequate material. Put it back together, and hit the road. If it pulls like it should you know it's your fiber plates. Unfortunately, it probably won't take long for the issue to return.
Clearvu1

Postby samw5 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am

Ya I think I'm mainly trying to figure out if that's normal for the bike to run like this... I haven't ridden the Beta on the road much and it's not really noticeable on dirt.

While riding around 40mph and opening it wide up the engine just feels like it's revving very quickly w/o much acceleration (I guess clutch slip is the closest thing that I figured I could describe it).
I don't have very good reference since I ride a Duc superbike on the street so pull at that speed is nothing to compare.

I was going to try to hold down the front brake from a stop and see if I can get clutch slippage (I don't think that it will from a stop as the bike hasn't had any issues while on the trails going up hills and such --- plus fairly low mileage and previous owner seem to have done his maintenance properly).
samw5

Return to General Discussions & Announcements