The Real Scoop on 2015 Race Editions

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: The Real Scoop on 2015 Race Editions

Postby flybars » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 pm

All I know is if I knew then what I know now I would have paid the extra $1000. and ordered the Beta race over the rr. So I agree, unless Beta puts a better fork on the rr, then the race is a far better choice.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby Calgarytrev » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

GMP wrote:Nice old bike Armin, I had the TE510 of that vintage.

Trevor,

No one is saying anything is crap, quite the opposite. And yes, sure the Zokes are better than the Sachs, but not absolutely needed by everyone. As far as the shock goes, probably the same thing, but even less of a need. All you have to do is look what is being ridden and works on bikes in your series, on your terrain, by riders of equal or beter ability and that tells the truth on where you should start. What works is good setup on stock shocks by knowledgable tuners. What really gets me is when people buy into the marketing hype and think these shocks are some kind of magic shit that are immune to valving and work perfect everywhere. Guess again. Its just another platform to start from with some different features, and with a limited knowledge base at that. But hey, its all good, just have to distinguish between NEED and WANT.

I agree Glenn that it's just another platform to start with but I do think they are a better starting point out of the box. I'm actually liking my sachs more and more I put another 50k on today and it's surprising me to be honest. The zokes are great and worth the price difference IMO but man I need springs this sucker is blowing threw the top stroke bad(I need to loose weight) any way back to the topic I think the 15 is just another opportunity over the 14 to own a very well put together bike. I'm very pleased with every aspect of mine at this point(less my jetting) I can't see anyone being disappointed in his bike. I'm sure they'll fly out he door like hot cakes as they have the last couple years and to me that's a home run for beta!
Calgarytrev

Postby Darkside » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

What's the old saying? it's 95% rider and 5% bike? Well I know I'm not getting any better or younger, so I need to maximize that 5% any way I can :D
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby Enmerdeur » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:22 pm

I read somewhere. They were talking to a guy that used to tune suspension for Shane Watts and he said it was near impossible. Shane would just adapt so quickly to how the bike was working no matter how poorly. They would ask him for feedback and he would just say "I don't know" but still ride fast.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby BassMan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm

If you think you will ride like crap with the Sachs or think you will ride great, you are probably right.
BassMan

Postby thumperrider1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 pm

I really want to try a 350 out.
2014 250RR Racing - Sold
thumperrider1

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Enmerdeur wrote:I read somewhere. They were talking to a guy that used to tune suspension for Shane Watts and he said it was near impossible. Shane would just adapt so quickly to how the bike was working no matter how poorly. They would ask him for feedback and he would just say "I don't know" but still ride fast.

My buddy is like that. He has no clue how suspension works, and can't explain what he likes and does not like. I revalved his bike based on my observations. Doesn't matter he just twists it and wins. He was an expert downhill Mtn bike racer so any suspension over a few inches must feel good! Some guys can just do that, unfortunately I'm not one of them.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Calgarytrev wrote:
GMP wrote:Nice old bike Armin, I had the TE510 of that vintage.

Trevor,

No one is saying anything is crap, quite the opposite. And yes, sure the Zokes are better than the Sachs, but not absolutely needed by everyone. As far as the shock goes, probably the same thing, but even less of a need. All you have to do is look what is being ridden and works on bikes in your series, on your terrain, by riders of equal or beter ability and that tells the truth on where you should start. What works is good setup on stock shocks by knowledgable tuners. What really gets me is when people buy into the marketing hype and think these shocks are some kind of magic shit that are immune to valving and work perfect everywhere. Guess again. Its just another platform to start from with some different features, and with a limited knowledge base at that. But hey, its all good, just have to distinguish between NEED and WANT.

I agree Glenn that it's just another platform to start with but I do think they are a better starting point out of the box. I'm actually liking my sachs more and more I put another 50k on today and it's surprising me to be honest. The zokes are great and worth the price difference IMO but man I need springs this sucker is blowing threw the top stroke bad(I need to loose weight) any way back to the topic I think the 15 is just another opportunity over the 14 to own a very well put together bike. I'm very pleased with every aspect of mine at this point(less my jetting) I can't see anyone being disappointed in his bike. I'm sure they'll fly out he door like hot cakes as they have the last couple years and to me that's a home run for beta!

Try running the PFP on the fork a little stiffer until it gets harsh, it has quite an effect. I'm 180 lbs but any more and I'd want stiffer springs too. Stock valving is pretty good for the rocks, a little soft for faster stuff. Service and go,through them ASAP even if you do not intend to revalve them yet.

What some fast guys have done here, where the terrain of the courses varies a lot, is have two sets of suspension valved differently. This makes sense if your real serious as there is no compromise.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Rider793 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

Enmerdeur wrote:Overall a bit of a yawner. Not much to get excited about over the 14' Race Edition.

Except that this year I get to get one................couldn't swing it last year.
Keith
2015 Beta 300 RR Race
2009 Husqvarna WR144
Rider793

Postby Enmerdeur » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 am

Rider793 wrote:
Enmerdeur wrote:Overall a bit of a yawner. Not much to get excited about over the 14' Race Edition.

Except that this year I get to get one................couldn't swing it last year.

Oh yeah!
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Previous

Return to General Discussions & Announcements