Oil leaks

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Oil leaks

Postby twowheels » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Lukey wrote:Hi guys
Got my gasket installed. Check out the picture of the incorrectly installed gasket.
Also while removing cover, I discovered that when the kick start is stuck in its down
position, loosening the cover bolt to the right of the kick start, allows the kick start
to return as it should. This leads me to believe that the kick start shaft hole is not
bored at 90 degrees to the cover. I took a video of it, but am having trouble loading
it to the site.....I will keep trying. The other issue is the leak from the countershaft;
I took it apart, both the seal and the o-ring seem ok, has anybody tried a larger cross
section o-ring?, as I believe that could be the issue.
[img]
RR300%20Inner%20Clutch%20Gasket.jpg
[/img]

Where are you from Lukey? Beta USA covered a number of sidecovers under warranty last year for the same issue.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:28 pm

I could not get the circlip on the countershaft with anything but the stock oring. My leak was solved with dropping the oil volume to 850cc. Now I notice a slight weep 50 hrs later. I have a couple different ID orings to try, a 23.5 and 24, for a tighter fit on the countershaft itself, before being compressed against the bearing inner race. Maybe that will work, or a slightly larger cross section but a softer durometer. This goofy issue has plagued KTMs for almost 20 years! The Beta is the exact same design, even dimensions. You would think they would find a better way, not affected by sprocket thickness. I'd groove the countershaft for an oring and have it seal on the collar ID. What's really strange is a GasGas, that uses two orings just stacked on the shaft that seems wrong, and a looser fit in general, hardly ever leak.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Lukey » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 pm

When i drained tranny i only got 800cc out and it was leaking pretty bad.
Thanks for the heads up on the C/S o ring, i'll see if i can find a larger cross section
but a softer durometer.
I am in BC Canada, i will check with my dealer see if they would supply
me a new side cover to fix the kicker, not that it's a big deal the E start
works so well.
Lukey

Postby Enmerdeur » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:40 pm

On my old KTM 380 I fixed a persistent CS oil leak by fabricating a shim out of brass shim material. I think it was .010" shim material. Basically made "washer" out of the material that would fit behind the CS. Was able to get just a little more compression to seal. For the life of me I can't figure out why the use the c-clip design on the 2 strokes and not the bolt on type like the 4 strokes. Do the Beta 4 strokes use the c-clip or bolt design?
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Lukey » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 pm

My thoughts too, why the c-clip over the bolt like a four stroke?
Lukey

Postby GMP » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I have various stainless shims I acquired for snugging up KTM and GG sprockets. The oring on the Beta should be compressed enough judging by the effort getting the clip on. I'll be into mine this week, I think the 23.5 mm oring might be the answer as it will compress on the actual shaft OD more.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:37 am

Also check that the o ring sits snugly in the recess in the spacer and that assumes that the spacer is the right way round on the shaft. One of those silly things that can be overlooked.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby Be350ka » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 am

I tried a thicker o ring on mine and after a short period of time the o ring started coming apart. Watch out for that! By sticking to 850ml I'm good now.

One other thing to check is the breather line. If it's plugged it might build pressure.
Be350ka

Postby GMP » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Funny you should mention that. I rode for over 4 hrs today, bone dry countershaft. Did nothing since last time, just the same 850cc oil change. I wonder if the shared vent from the PV chamber on the cyl. could be getting intermittently clogged or pinched, have to check that and maybe reroute it if it looks possible.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Lukey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Update on oil leak, I got a KTM seal for my C/S and that fixed it, i,ve put about 6 hrs on it and its
dry. When I removed the Beta seal and looked at it, it has a fiber sealing edge bonded to the rubber
and that was fraying, kinda weird, never seen a seal like that before. I reused the Beta o ring as it
measured marginally bigger cross section than the KTM part.
Lukey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements