2016 500RS?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: 2016 500RS?

Postby johnm28 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:00 pm

here is a pic of my rear:) and scotts sub mount with BRP Rubber mount. I really like the set up. being shorter it does raise the bars an inch so something to consider or get the set up and buy new bars that are low bend to compensate for them. http://www.getdirtydirtbikes.com sells the set up and all other stuff for beta.
Attachments
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG (112.14 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG (130.74 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
johnm28

Postby dslbrnr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 am

Johnm28 thanks for the pics. Your setup looks good. Did the Scotts stabilizer help much? Your not running the little license plate light but I guess it isn't an issue unless it's dark out. The small blinkers look great.

I thought my garage was clean but yours looks like the inside of my house! Nice
2016 500RS, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Cycra Handguards, Cleaned Up Tail Section, 13T/50T Gearing, IMS 3.1 Gal Fuel Tank
dslbrnr

Postby dslbrnr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:36 am

How do I get instant notification on a reply to my threads? I thought I had checked that box on the user control panel. Thx
2016 500RS, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Cycra Handguards, Cleaned Up Tail Section, 13T/50T Gearing, IMS 3.1 Gal Fuel Tank
dslbrnr

Postby johnm28 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:03 pm

dslbrnr wrote:Johnm28 thanks for the pics. Your setup looks good. Did the Scotts stabilizer help much? Your not running the little license plate light but I guess it isn't an issue unless it's dark out. The small blinkers look great.

I thought my garage was clean but yours looks like the inside of my house! Nice

Hey Buddy thanks. Yes a scotts or other steering stabilizer (damper) is a must IMO. Google it and you will see a lot of guys tell stories on how it saved them from serious injury. I didn't ride with one for years until someone told me the same thing I'm telling you . I got one years ago and now will never ride without it. you can set it up in different ways and have it tight/stiff for fast sections and desert or loose/soft for single track tight steering. even if it feels like its not working it is. Go to there web site and see vids and read up on them. GPR make a good one that is slimmer so that it doesn't raise bars as high as scotts. I know they are pricy but worth it.

As far as my garage yes I love it. OCD take over in there:) Take care and enjoy your bike. be safe
johnm28

Postby dslbrnr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Took the new RS out today for a good break-in ride in the SO.CA. high desert. Bike ran and handled great and felt well balanced. The only issue I had was the stock fuel tank but have an IMS 3.1 on order. Also didn't have a chance to clean up the rear tail section and nearly lost the rear blinkers and that's without going down. My buddy said they were flopping all over the place. For some reason my Trailtech speedo/mph readout wasn't acting right as it kept going up and down to 0 mph while riding. I guess I'll have to actually read and try to understand the owner's manual.

The next things on my list are some LED blinkers and maybe a 50/51T rear sprocket which should do nicely with the 13T front for tight single track.

Anyone know if the stock chain will be long enough for a 51T sprocket or will I need longer chain? Will KTM sprockets fit the Beta's because the hubs sure look the same to me.

Also will I need a different flasher for the rear LED's or are they plug and play?

Thanks for all the tips
dslbrnr

Postby Deck1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:15 pm

About the speedo. Take off or pull to one side the headlight/number plate. Trace the speed sensor wire to connector block below the Voyager. It doesn't secure properly and you will need couple of small zip tyes to keep it in good contact. I also used a different magnet out of another trail tech kit on the front brake disc that fit much more snug. The main culprit though was that connector. I used an electronic flasher when I subbed in LED blinkers. Fair warning, I did have one tight intake valve at 20 hours, and I'm not a revver. I bit the bullet & bought a Hot Cams shim assortment which means I probably will never need any more adjustments!!
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby ricoyam » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:35 pm

dslbrnr wrote:Took the new RS out today for a good break-in ride in the SO.CA. high desert. Bike ran and handled great and felt well balanced. The only issue I had was the stock fuel tank but have an IMS 3.1 on order. Also didn't have a chance to clean up the rear tail section and nearly lost the rear blinkers and that's without going down. My buddy said they were flopping all over the place. For some reason my Trailtech speedo/mph readout wasn't acting right as it kept going up and down to 0 mph while riding. I guess I'll have to actually read and try to understand the owner's manual.

The next things on my list are some LED blinkers and maybe a 50/51T rear sprocket which should do nicely with the 13T front for tight single track.

Anyone know if the stock chain will be long enough for a 51T sprocket or will I need longer chain? Will KTM sprockets fit the Beta's because the hubs sure look the same to me.

Also will I need a different flasher for the rear LED's or are they plug and play?

Thanks for all the tips

I went riding today too. First time in several months. I've been busy with work and life in general. Felt way out of whack on my first loop but much better after a rest on the second loop.

You might want to check the relation of the magnet to the sensor for your Voyager. I haven't heard of any being bad but it's the first thing I'd look at.

I run 15/50 gearing on my 430....... I think. I'll check tomorrow. The chain just fits so if you go down to the 13t front you should be fine.

Yes you need to change the flasher for LEDs. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of things tomorrow. Since the forum won't take them, maybe I can PM them to you. You can also ping me at <rick@motionpro.com> and then I can send them directly.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby dslbrnr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks Rick and Deck1, looking forward to getting this bike dialed in. Appreciate your help!! I'll check that speedo connection today which is probably the culprit.

Also I forgot to mention my rear Sachs shock is making some light squeaking when I cycle through it in the garage! I did lube the rear linkage but this sounds like something internal in the shock.

Never thought I would ever own an Italian MC after working on Vespas :x when I was a young kid at a Suzuki Dealer. But so far we seem to be getting along well. :)
dslbrnr

Postby Deck1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:23 pm

funny story. I took my full suspension mountain bike into shop for squeak in rear suspension, thinking something was dry. They tore apart and lubed all the pivots, squeak was still there. They ended up saying that the noise was the shock oil going through the valving. Pretty hard to make that go away, so, it still squeaks. It may or may not be the same squeak you are hearing and there may be something more you can do on your bike. Try adjusting the clickers, and see if it changes at all.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby dslbrnr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Well after a good washing it looks like the squeak is gone. I think dust had packed up in the seal/wiper on the shock shaft. It was very dry in the high desert as we were riding where that big fire was recently. Yeah those creeks and squeaks can be a real booger.
dslbrnr

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements