Kenda IBEX

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Kenda IBEX

Postby Knox Enduro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that the 110 might work best on the 2 strokes and the 120 for the 4 strokes. The 110 has a little smaller knob with bigger space in between, may be better in mud also.
Knox Enduro

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:06 pm

I'm going for the biggest one I can get...I don't think it makes a difference if it's a 2 or 4 stroke. .

Has anyone tried the Motoz tractionator HT for rear ..?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Pro ... OT&CartID=
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:03 am

The 300RR has more than enough to pull any tire. Its how it affects handling that changes with size. If your riding does not include much aggressive cornering then the larger tire will work fine. Its still way better than a trials tire, that completely changes how you must ride the bike, as you can't lean it over.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby HRRacing » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:15 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:I'm going for the biggest one I can get...I don't think it makes a difference if it's a 2 or 4 stroke. .

Ran the Tractionator IT. Very good tire. I looked into the HT and local Motoz dealer told me it was more of a Dual Sport tire, that's why used the IT. I have never used the HT
HRRacing

Postby Deck1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:I'm going for the biggest one I can get...I don't think it makes a difference if it's a 2 or 4 stroke. .

I have tried Tractionator HT on XR650R and my friend has one on his 500 EXC. It's a good all around tire for conditions we have had in California last couple of years. It seemed to do good in light mud that we came across, and wore really well. For a DOT knobby, one of the best compromises I have found if you are going for 50/50. For drier conditions, I currently have Motoz Mountain Hybrid tire on the rear, and like it very much. I have a Tractionator ST to try this winter. Our sloppy conditions are short season, and won't spend as much time on the road during that time. From the pictures I have seen you post, I would think that ST or IT Tractionator would be good fit. Another friend of mine had the IT on his Husky 501, looked like it was wearing really well and he claimed it was the only tire he will ever buy again. We probably all say that until THE TIRE is on back order!!
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby typeone » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:42 pm

been running the Tractionator S/T for years on a few diff bikes, love it for New England conditions, just keep buying them over and over ... tried the I/T this season and like it in the boney dry but the S/T was a better all-arounder. it's my fav to date.

i just nabbed an Arena Hybrid to try for the slippery Fall conditions, curious how it will compare to the S/T.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby HRRacing » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:09 pm

typeone wrote:been running the Tractionator S/T for years on a few diff bikes, love it for New England conditions, just keep buying them over and over ... tried the I/T this season and like it in the boney dry but the S/T was a better all-arounder. it's my fav to date.

i just nabbed an Arena Hybrid to try for the slippery Fall conditions, curious how it will compare to the S/T.

Give a ride report on the Arena. I'm interested. Been using the Motoz Mountain Hybrid. Over 1000 miles and still hooking up. Ready to try something different.
HRRacing

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 am

If the Arena is like the Shinko Cheater and IBEX, there is no way you will get anywhere near that mileage from one. Not sure it is but from the description I suspect so as to fit in that class of sticky, extreme tire. I've been through three Shinkos this summer alone, just riding local in rocky trail at an aggressive pace. The Shinko is cheap at $63, the others not so much. If your on a budget with tires you may need to look elsewhere. If the riding calls for no compromise traction on rocks and logs then this is the class of tire to use. There is no comparison to the MotoZ MH, not even close.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby HRRacing » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:27 am

All these new hybrids are interesting. I like to hear everyone's opinions. I don't think there's a holy grail tire out there unless one rides the same area every time. I was just trying to abuse the MH as much as possible to form a true opinion about it. It worked well considering all the different types of terrain that's available to ride here in the NW. It's actually pretty popular here. But I'm ready to try something different. Even though I haven't used any other of the hybrids yet, I'm not so sure I would go as far as to say the MH is not even close in comparison when it comes to rocks, roots and logs. I got pretty good hook up over those obstacles. And I encounter a lot in my riding areas. Agian, it wasn't perfect. It definitely has its flaws. My brother just put on an Ibex on his 300. Looking forward to seeing how he likes it and how it performs. I think one just finds a tire they like. I ride with someone that uses a certain tire brand and model that I hated, but he loves it.
HRRacing

Postby typeone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:49 am

will do on an Arena report, looking forward to testing it out!

the nice thing about the Arena is it still has stiff-ish knobs with a Tractionator-type pattern. the knobs aren't super gummy like the other hybrids, it's the carcass itself that is softer in the center allowing the knobs to grip around terrain more. the sidewalls are still nice and stiff so you can run low pressures. i typically do 7-8psi with an UHD tube. not sure i would like a super gummy knob since i like to brake slide and gas a lot when the trail turns to switchbacks.

i'll let you guys know how it feels on the next ride ... i also have a Sprint Enduro coming up on the 29th.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements