Kenda IBEX

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Kenda IBEX

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:12 am

typeone wrote:will do on an Arena report, looking forward to testing it out!

the nice thing about the Arena is it still has stiff-ish knobs with a Tractionator-type pattern. the knobs aren't super gummy like the other hybrids, it's the carcass itself that is softer in the center allowing the knobs to grip around terrain more. the sidewalls are still nice and stiff so you can run low pressures. i typically do 7-8psi with an UHD tube. not sure i would like a super gummy knob since i like to brake slide and gas a lot when the trail turns to switchbacks.

i'll let you guys know how it feels on the next ride ... i also have a Sprint Enduro coming up on the 29th.

Well that sounds like a different approach from all the others, like they took the MMH softened the crown and scaled down the size and weight(which it really needed). Perhaps it will last longer but not quite as sticky. Kind of like an MT43 vs a Dunlop 803 TT.

The big difference with the Shinko compared to the MMH is that it has more pure adhesion like a TT, so when things really go to crap say on a steep rough wet climb its still hooked up, and as long as the bike will pull the tire will work. The MMH was OK at lower speed, VERY low pressure, and drier terrain. Also much better on a heavier bike.

Keep us posted I'd be game to try one.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby typeone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:54 am

will do.

here's a pic to compare tread pattern to my current Tractionator I/T. very similar with the center knobs being a little more narrow on the Arena. i assume to allow the knobs to 'interlock' a bit more as the tire collapses around the terrain since the crown is soft... but i'm not a tire designer :D

'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Pretty aggressive pattern for rocks! I think if that tire had gummy knobs it would be destroyed in no time like the GT. Let me know as your terrain is a lot like mine.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby typeone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 pm

yeah, great pattern and nice tall knobs, should work well here. agreed, anything too soft would just get chewed right off, def need a sturdy knob. Slavens put a durometer to the Shinko Cheater and Motoz Arena, Cheater came in at 50-52 and the Arena around 75. that gives you an idea how much the knobs are more traditional in hardness.

that Tractionator has a lot of hours on it of mostly rock. ~6hrs of last two rides were pure rock, barely any dirt, with plenty of super sharp, loose stuff. knobs split a bit but only a few chunked. still holding up really well.
typeone

Postby HRRacing » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 pm

HRRacing

Postby typeone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:02 pm

wish we had a 'Like' btn, thnx, HRR!
typeone

Postby nevermind » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:05 pm

My 120/100-18 Kenda IBEX was delivered yesterday. It is a WIDE WIDE WIDE tire and uninflated, the tread is very flat. I'm thinking it's gonna turn like a battleship. I'm hoping it gets more round when mounted and aired up!
nevermind

Postby Cruiser » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 pm

HRRacing wrote:https://youtu.be/zgg16KNTY64

Watched that a few times. may be ordering some motoZ's. The question is, back to UHD tubes or a new set of tubliss for the 350?
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 am

Cruiser wrote:
HRRacing wrote:https://youtu.be/zgg16KNTY64

Watched that a few times. may be ordering some motoZ's. The question is, back to UHD tubes or a new set of tubliss for the 350?

Steve,

The MotoZ is the same compound as the MMH you have now. Its also stiff in the sidewall. Your new bike is a lit lighter. If your going to make that tire work better than average your going to need the low pressure option of Tubliss. Especially when it gets worn down from your street use. I wouldn't even bother with that tire and a tube at higher pressure. Tires like the Cheater and IBEX work at higher pressure simply from the sticky compound. Once you go Tubliss the door is open and many tires become viable choices. I've been riding almost nothing but rocks my whole life, you know you have ridden with me. I've lost count of the tires I've tried and go through many. IMO, that tire looks a little too aggressive, open pattern, for rocks and in your case the asphalt ride to the woods. My guess is it will be toast pretty quick.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:01 am

The Arena screams Ok on all types of terrain. Not great for anything.
Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements