Newbie about Pipe Guards and Wiring Harness??

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Newbie about Pipe Guards and Wiring Harness??

Postby Volryder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 am

First post and really excited to become part of this vibrant, positive, and growing community of owners. I'm an old guy taking a big leap from what I've ridden to what I hope will better suit my old body. I pretty much made up my mind on another non-orange bike but the overwhelming enthusiasm for a bike I'd never heard of (Beta) eventually won me over. Never underestimate the power and influence of the mood of "our" forum to guys like me that don't or didn't stay immersed in the dirt bike world. I may not post much, but I'll be hanging around pulling nuggets from you far more experienced riders. You guys have been really helpful reassuring me about the purchase of my Italian Stallion.

I almost hate to post such a boring question about pipe guards, but using the search function didn't work. Long time 4T rider but love my new 300rr race. But really ignorant about 2T stuff so doing lots of reading here about jets, 2T oil, on and on.... So about the guard it seems like the P3 is well liked. I called P3 Composites and they were pretty sure the Gnarly version was right for the 300rr race. They said one fit better than the other... one standard and the other for the Gnarly. Is the P3 Gnarly the way to go???

Also Jay at Hyde told me about the race wiring harness that eliminates a bunch of excess wiring. Sounds pretty neat. Others done this yet?

Looking forward to getting to know you guys through your posts for years to come.
Volryder

Re: Newbie about Pipe Guards and Wiring Harness??

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome; I can't answer any of your questions directly as I still have not ordered a pipe guard but have been looking at the P3 - reason being is I have had the Eline guard on past bikes one good the other questionable quality. As to which pipe is on the race model it would seem counter to "race" to have the Gnarly on that model, but I would email Tim @ AmBeta and inquire about it.

Enjoy your Beta, from one old guy to another.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby GMP » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome and good luck with the bike. Where are you from?

As far as the stock pipe, its a special FMF made by their OEM division for Beta, as is the silencer. If you want a spare its like $400 by the time it goes through the system! The FMF Gnarly and Fatty I have never used so I can't comment but the fit is very close from all accounts. I like the stock pipe, its part of a very smooth power delivery package. I would not want a low end type pipe on this bike, I love the way it runs out on top like a typical 300 with a Gnarly will not do. As far as guards I'll throw another couple options out, depending where and how you ride. The Hyde and Force combos are integrated pipe guards/skid plates that offer far better pipe BENDING protection than a clamp on CF guard. CF guards are good ding protectors but if you hit one good the pipe header bends/kinks because all the force goes to it. My buddys and I have had this happen a few times and do not run them anyore. For less rocky stuff its OK, many run them. Rad braces are a must anywhere, IMO. Grills optional if frontal protection needed.

You can get the race harness or cut up the OEM one to eliminate all the extra wires and connectors not needed. MUCH cleaner. Time or $$ your choice, depends on the cost. Probably better for resale to have the OEM in a box.

I'll try and take/post some pics of mine later all ready to go.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Darkside » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Howdy,
I ordered a P3 for my 300 race. It said ktm 250/300 inside. I know from my ktm that the guard fits both stock and gnarly. So, I would think the guard would fit both stock and gnarly on the beta.

I read somewhere that with the race wiring harness the computer does not work.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby Volryder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey Darkside, I called P3 Composites and they had 2 guards for the 300rr. But he didn't know which one for the 300rr Race. Does yours fit correctly and where'd you get it? Thanks.
Volryder

Postby Volryder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Hey Darkside, I called P3 Composites and they had 2 guards for the 300rr. But he didn't know which one for the 300rr Race. Does yours fit correctly and where'd you get it? Thanks.
Volryder

Postby Volryder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Oops. Sorry for the double. Well I don't want to lose the computer. I was told it got rid of turn signal stuff. I'll do more research and post what I learn.
Volryder

Postby GMP » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm

The OEM pipes are the same on the standard and race models.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby REVERUP » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:44 pm

As I understand it: For the P3 guard if you have the original pipe that came on the bike, select the first option # 109060
If you have changed out the original pipe to a Gnarly or fatty then you want to select the second option # 109061

Mine should be here tomorrow for my 300.

Roscoe
New dirt bikes rule! '14 Beta 300RR Racing
REVERUP

Postby Volryder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Roscoe & GMP, it's the stock pipe. Got it guys... The "60" it is. I won't order until Monday. Roscoe, if you like what you see I'd appreciate a thumbs up. Thx guys
Volryder

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements