New Beta Observations

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: New Beta Observations

Postby flybars » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 pm

That's a good looking bike. I didn't want the CF pipe guard. Maybe I'll get one like yours. What brand did U get?
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby Hammer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 am

GMP wrote:Here is a link to pics of my bike. Rode it today first time, in my local nasty rocky trails. I'll post in ride reports, but I will say here I don't miss my GGs one bit!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i1ymqco8cf3v1l/OYhZ1TQiur

I had a feeling you would like it.
Hammer

Postby GMP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:36 am

Its a generic Moose "bend it yourself" one. Not the best choice, but probably no worse than an eline CF guard. IMO, they are not worth it. I've trashed them and seen them completey destroyed by others, too thin. All CF guards can make the header sections bend easier. I don't know what the AM Beta guard is but my guess would be eline. This pipe is high on the bottom, which is good, but sticks out far on the right side. The best protection from experience is the Hyde combo, which I hear is avalable for the bike now. The downside is its a mud trap and has to be removed to be completely cleaned out. If it does not use the factory frame mounts it will be a bitch to R&R. Its also ugly, but it works pretty good. Pipe guards are a tough problem! What I could really use here is one of those cages the guys in Hawaii use.

I need a link skid thats less than the $300 Stillwell. I had to pass on some ledges and big logs for fear of trashing the clevis. If I can't design/fab something fast (or Steve can't, hint) I may have to pony up. I may cancel my Smart Carb preorder and use that $, one thing this bike does not need is more power. It will be a bitch to fit and a hack job to do so, and the stock jetting is as good as it gets.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am

I have the Moose protector on my ec250. It was a little difficult to mount/bend perfectly, but does as good a job as a cf guard and will last a long time. I too would like to have one of those cages. Would keep the pipe and header from being bent. I would like to see a one piece skid plate that extends rearward to protect the linkage. Don't know if it's feasible. it's nice to know the Beta carbs are working well. I remember When I first heard of the Beta 2t's, I called AB and asked if they will be using the SC on their bikes. He stated that their carbs worked well and didn't need replacing.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby Calgarytrev » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

i was telling glenn i think i might have a buyer for my nambo in the next few weeks so ill grab a 300 i think. i really want the upgraded suspension i just hope it complies the way you guys are saying it will(the 300 part i know the suspension will be good!).its all good though i liked my 300 i just seem to climb better on the 250. I'm pumped to here the up coming reviews and hopefully my review will be coming in the next couple of months :D
Calgarytrev

Postby GMP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Fear no hill. As long as you can keep your hand on the throttle it will keep pulling. I only botched one hill with a lose off camber when the short knob FIM tire gave up. It's a lot lighter picking it up in these situations and turning it around. Once I get a link skid we do the ledge test!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 pm

GMP wrote:Fear no hill. As long as you can keep your hand on the throttle it will keep pulling. I only botched one hill with a lose off camber when the short knob FIM tire gave up. It's a lot lighter picking it up in these situations and turning it around. Once I get a link skid we do the ledge test!

I'm working on it ;)
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby moto7man » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 am

GMP wrote:Here is a link to pics of my bike. Rode it today first time, in my local nasty rocky trails. I'll post in ride reports, but I will say here I don't miss my GGs one bit!

That bike looks really nice! Are the flex bars hard to mount?
moto7man

Postby GMP » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks. It's even nicer for real, especially on the trail, check one out. Flexxbars setup came off my '12 GG. Damper as well but with new mtg. hardware. Mounting is easy. Only hassle is getting to the bleeder screws with the bars in the middle (stock) position. I'm not running any risers and the forks are to the first line(also stock). I solved this somewhat by replacing the Phillips screws with 3mm allen cap screws, which allow the use of a ball allen and/or cut off 3mm key. The Enduro low Flexbars, 10 deg sweep are a few mm higher than the stock Beta bars.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 pm

moto7man wrote:

That bike looks really nice! Are the flex bars hard to mount?

The brake hose banjo takes a weird turn out of the master cylinder, but you can carefully bend it to allow clearance to the Flexx Bars.

You like the 10s Glenn? They always seemed a little too straight so I tend to run 12s.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements