Main bearing failures on 2018 2019 2020 Xtrainer RR250 & 300

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Main bearing failures on late model Xtrainers RR250/300?

Postby slider316 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:30 pm

I have a 2019 300RR, I have 30 hours and 456 miles on bike. At 3 weeks out of warranty my left mail bearing went out. I took bike to my dealer and he said he would take care of it. Beta replaced crank, bearings and cases, It took the shop one week to get parts and fix. they also told me if it would take longer he would loan me a bike so I would not miss my race. Picked up bike and raced it. Hopeful this is a one time problem. I'm excited that my dealer was so quick to fix it and Beta picked up the bill.
slider316

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm

slider316 wrote:I have a 2019 300RR, I have 30 hours and 456 miles on bike. At 3 weeks out of warranty my left mail bearing went out. I took bike to my dealer and he said he would take care of it. Beta replaced crank, bearings and cases, It took the shop one week to get parts and fix. they also told me if it would take longer he would loan me a bike so I would not miss my race. Picked up bike and raced it. Hopeful this is a one time problem. I'm excited that my dealer was so quick to fix it and Beta picked up the bill.

Hard to argue with that service 8-)
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Lonesome Dave » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 am

twowheels wrote:Hard to argue with that service 8-)

That's for sure! I'd like to hear about this dealer. What's their name and where and maybe website?
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby slider316 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:06 am

The shop is Dan's Motorsports outlet, Salem Oregon. Dan and his son both race and have the love of the sport. Dan is also good at returning calls. I use e-mil the most.
slider316

Postby Wild Hair » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:09 pm

I have a 2018 250 RR RE., 37 hours on the bike. It just bogged down and died on me in the woods. I took it to my Beta dealer, he said the main bearing was faulty. He contacted Beta with the diagnosis, and they are replacing everything, no cost to me, new cases and everything. This is my third Beta ( I’ve never had any other problems ), and I actually have a 2019 X trainer on the way. Even though this is somewhat of a hassle, I think the quality of these bikes is second to none , and their service is even better. My dealer is Adventure off-road in Leoma Tennessee, great people.

Allen
Allen
2019 Beta Xtrainer 300
2018 Beta 250 RR Race
2017 Beta 350 RR Race. (sold)
2014 Beta 300 RR (sold)
2012 Berg TE 300 (sold)
2008 KTM 300 XCW (sold)
Wild Hair

Postby Twitch909 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:55 pm

I have a 2019 300rr just clicked 100hrs, last ride started making high pitched noise from bottom end.
Took bike into dealer for them to check it out. Left side main bearing was shot and cage had sections broken on it.
I couldnt see any evidence of excessive heat or lack of lubrication that would cause the failure.

Strangely the dealer also found two lip seal springs floating around in the stator housing, the respective crank seal still had its spring.

Waiting to hear back from Beta in terms of any warranty
2019 Beta 300rr
Twitch909

Postby betajuice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Twitch909 wrote:I have a 2019 300rr just clicked 100hrs, last ride started making high pitched noise from bottom end.
Took bike into dealer for them to check it out. Left side main bearing was shot and cage had sections broken on it.
I couldnt see any evidence of excessive heat or lack of lubrication that would cause the failure.
Strangely the dealer also found two lip seal springs floating around in the stator housing, the respective crank seal still had its spring.
Waiting to hear back from Beta in terms of any warranty

Very interesting to see how they respond. I've been chasing up everyone's stories and reported them all in this vid: https://youtu.be/AJOE3I0Vc4M

It seems quite a few dealers are at least providing free parts or heavily discounted ones in some cases where the bikes are out of warranty, because the main bearings are a known issue.

In a few cases under warranty other dealers have tried to say it was the owner's fault e.g. they must have drowned the bike or ran it without oil - but the owners say they've done absolutely nothing wrong.
betajuice

Postby Twitch909 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm

betajuice wrote:
Very interesting to see how they respond. I've been chasing up everyone's stories and reported them all in this vid: https://youtu.be/AJOE3I0Vc4M

It seems quite a few dealers are at least providing free parts or heavily discounted ones in some cases where the bikes are out of warranty, because the main bearings are a known issue.

In a few cases under warranty other dealers have tried to say it was the owner's fault e.g. they must have drowned the bike or ran it without oil - but the owners say they've done absolutely nothing wrong.

Ill be sure to let use know when Beta get back to me with any information.

Thankfully my dealership is excellent and are supporting the issue whole-heartedly.

I'd certainly be finding a new dealership myself if they tried putting the onus back on me. :shock:

Massive fan of all the vids btw!
2019 Beta 300rr
Twitch909

Postby betajuice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Okay, I've been emailing and ringing a pile of mechanics, Beta dealers and Beta owners who had main bearing failures.

So far it's really good news that there are no 2019 cases evident which suggests the problem may be resolved.
Everyone agrees it's a very low incidence rate, one dealer suggested on in 200 bikes and others agreed.
Just listen out for the engine noises in the vid below, stop riding and get your bike fixed if it ever happens.

The consensus among mechanics seems to be a faulty batch of bearings, and possibly the seals in some cases. Keen to hear if others have come across this though and can shed more light.

https://youtu.be/AJOE3I0Vc4M
betajuice

Postby Johnny Depp » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 am

It's curious why they would replace the cases? Has this been covered? Is this happening on both oil injected and premix models?
Johnny Depp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements