Kickstand

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Kickstand

Postby POP » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Just got back from a ride and noticed the kickstand bolt is backing out so i zip tied for today. Whats a good fix?
POP

Re: Kickstand

Postby Rv4Bob » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1357&hilit=Rv4bob

Look at this tread, i drilled and safety wired mine. Also flip the bolt on the footpeg youll get more clearance on kick stand
Rv4Bob

Postby NZMarkb » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm

I drilled and tie wired mine a long time back also
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby POP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 am

My problem is due to hip replacement i have to have my bike on the kickstand to get on it . I put my left foot on the foot peg then i can get my right leg over the seat. Bought my bike new in March 2019. This morning i went down stairs and the bolt had just about backed all the way out but i removed and use thread lok and reassembled .Do you guys board your bike in the same way as i do?
POP

Postby Rv4Bob » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:41 am

It will probably come lose again, i could never get thread locker to hold it for long. Its not a really strong kick stand, not sure it will last putting weight on it all the time. You can bush the hole if it gets worn out, check out my thread on how to do it. I usually use a rock or park in a hole to help getting on / off.
Rv4Bob

Postby POP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:02 am

I know the stand shouldn't be used the way i do so i need to choose where i stop on the trails in order to get on/off my bike. I broke a kickstand off my ktm a few years back. So i've order the sleeve you used and i'll do that fix. It's just easy to use the kickstand the way i do. I absolutely love my XT i'm 66 and it makes riding a pleasure.
POP

Postby wwguy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 am

POP wrote:My problem is due to hip replacement i have to have my bike on the kickstand to get on it . I put my left foot on the foot peg then i can get my right leg over the seat.

POP wrote:I know the stand shouldn't be used the way i do so i need to choose where i stop on the trails in order to get on/off my bike. I broke a kickstand off my ktm a few years back. So i've order the sleeve you used and i'll do that fix.

Good thing that you caught your bolt backing out before something worse happened. Here's a photo from a rider with a 2018 Xtrainer that wasn't so lucky. Last thing you need is to mess up your hip again (or something else) when using your mounting process with this lightweight kickstand setup. For what it's worth, the owner's manual is pretty clear about "Do not sit on the vehicle when it is on its stand."

wwguy

Postby POP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Just got home from ridding. I never got on my bike using the stand just made sure i was close to a high spot so i could get my leg over the seat and this worked great. Even when in the woods taking a break, I'll never use the stand except like it should be used. Not mounting the bike.
POP

Postby POP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Wonder why they don't use a carriage blot with a lock nut on the backside ?
POP

Postby rhino_343 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 am

Has anyone found a aftermarket stand that is better? I have no kickstand at all and I need one! Pro Moto Billet has one for the RR Betas but they said when I asked them it won’t fit the XT, which is funny as I think the factory part is the same XT/RR?
rhino_343

Return to General Discussions & Announcements