New Guy, gonna buy a Beta

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Another new guy, looking at an XTrainer

Postby ScottRNelson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Might as well piggyback on this post...

...Since I didn't see a newbie sub-forum anywhere. ;)

I'm seriously considering buying an XTrainer. I was looking for the right 250cc dirt bike, with the Yamaha WR250F at the top of my list, but dropped in a the local Beta dealer and realized that the XTrainer better matches the type of riding I want to do.

I live in Idaho, near Boise, and currently have a KTM 790 Adventure R and a Honda XR650L. Both work just fine on the dirt roads in the mountains, but I don't really want to ride them on all of the single track trails in the area. Last fall I went with a friend to a local OHV area and rode his CRF230. That is not a great dirt bike, but still worked a lot better than my XR would have worked on the trails there. That's what got me looking for the next bike.

As I understand it, the XTrainer is great for technical single track stuff. The last time I had a bike that was good at that, I had a YZ250 from the 90's.

Anyway, I'll be lurking here for a while and asking questions as I come up with them.
Scott R. Nelson, Meridian, ID
ScottRNelson

Re: New Guy, gonna buy a Beta

Postby Dr Z » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm

I recommend considering a 300RR. I started looking at the XTrainer but decided I would be better on the RR. From what I've read, the suspension is not as good on the XTrainer and my 300 lugs down low so well. I've heard they lug better than the 250. I weigh about 165 dry and the stock suspension is just barely able to be tuned in for me on my RR. I'm going to put a rebound separator nut in the rear shock when I change the oil in it next month and I think it will get me about perfect. Any heavier and I would have to redo the forks. The 300RR has improved my skill level immensely, but that's coming from an RMZ450 (with perfectly tuned suspension for single track.)
2018 300RR, SC2 Smart carb, Recluse Radius CX and left hand rear brake, IMS oversize tank, Seat Concepts low seat, rear Tubliss, oil injection deleted.
Dr Z

Postby TripleThreat719 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am

For slow technical single track the X-Trainer is really good. For medium paced single track with more high speed undulation in the trail, it is manageable. For high speed, flowing single track, or double track/fire roads with a lot of undulation, the suspension is not good enough. There have been a few times that I have wished that I had the suspension from the 300rr, but there have also been times when I was glad I had the reduced seat height of the X-Trainer.

It all depends on your pace and what you plan to ride most, IMHO... YMMV...
On the Road Less Traveled... You Meet the Most Interesting People
2017 Beta X-Trainer
2006 Husqvarna TE 610
2006 BMW R1150RT
TripleThreat719

Postby Dr Z » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:41 pm

My 2018 with 1" lower seat concepts seat is much more manageable with my shorter inseam. Not sure how much closer to the XTrainer height it is. The 2020 and up seat only lowers it 5/8" though.
2018 300RR, SC2 Smart carb, Recluse Radius CX and left hand rear brake, IMS oversize tank, Seat Concepts low seat, rear Tubliss, oil injection deleted.
Dr Z

Postby dANbOT » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 am

I was considering the Xtrainer, mainly for the lower sea height. I couldn't get a 100% answer, but I gather the Xtrainer's 300 reduced power goes beyond pipe / bolt-ons, there may be a difference in cylinder porting / internals. This was a deal breaker for me, without the full 300 power available.
I was also nervous about the suspension, I mostly ride slow technical, but we do have some more open stuff and hard charging alpine climbs that I feel I need full size suspension for.
Compared to my last bike (14 Gasgas EC300) the RR sits measurably lower in stock form, has to be the lowest seat height of the *regular size* 300 enduro's? It seems to be a decent fit for me... Seat Concepts low comfort seat should help even more.
2021 Beta 300RR - 2014 Gasgas 300XC - 2019 Polaris 850 RMK
dANbOT

Postby dANbOT » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:37 am

Just got home from 2 weeks in camp. Today I'm mounting my new tires, a brake pedal saver leash, and a few last minute adjustments. First ride should happen in the next couple days! 8-) It's VERY early season here, but we have an area that looks good for a ride.
Still waiting for:
AXP skid, and kick start kit from my dealership.
SC low comfort seat. (SC warned about lead time when I ordered)
dANbOT

Postby dANbOT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 am

Hello traction, my old friend
dANbOT

Postby dANbOT » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:11 am

Got her out for the first ride of the year yesterday!
Pretty happy with it! Overall, an excellent enduro bike for my needs.
Love:
-The power. Gobs of torque! Was able to really lug down below idle speed. Plenty of mid-top end when needed. What an impressive engine! She really likes being in a gear too high. My Gasgas was no slouch here, but this engine loves to be lugged down low... awesome.
-General suspension / chassis feel is nice. Very stable, and predictable. Inspires confidence.
-A very quiet bike mechanically. No chain slapping, rattles etc, pleasant to ride.
-Ergonomics are fantastic. Feels like a slim, light, and nimble bike. Very easy to move around and use body english. Didn't have to concentrate on clamping the bike with my legs, just feels good. Slow speed cornering is a much tighter radius than my Gasgas.
-Rain/ Sun modes work well for me while using small throttle inputs, could really feel the softer response on rain mode.
May need tweaking:
-Brakes are hyper sensitive! I think I can get used to the front brakes, they are very powerful but have "feel" to them. The rear brake however is almost a little too sensitive at lower speeds, I may chamfer the rear pads to lessen the sensitivity.
-forks are possibly a little harsh on high speed dampening, I felt a little tendency to wash out on stutter bumps. Some clicker adjusting may get this sorted, and of course it should soften as it breaks in.
-Seat is horribly stiff and skinny, but I knew this lol. Seat Concepts Comfort has been ordered, and can't arrive soon enough.
-After adjusting the brake pedal up to my sweet spot, the return spring came un-hooked, like it is too long to work effectively where I need it. I twisted the spring so it would stay in place for now. May need a shorter spring.
-The power is slightly less smooth than I'm used to on my Gasgas 300 with a Suzuki NEDJ needle. There is a small surge of power in the lower rpm that caught me off guard a few times. Maybe removing some pre-load from exh valve will help, or I may try a Suz needle down the road. There is way more lower-midrange power than my Gasgas had, so I may just be feeling that.

This bike is going to serve me well, very happy with my choice so far.
dANbOT

Postby dANbOT » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:50 am

Got out for another ride yesterday, the spring weather is playing games with us lol. Nice one day, snowing the next.
-After beveling the brake pads edges the hyper-sensitivity is much better. I'm happy with the brakes now.
-Mounted and tried out my new Enduro Engineering chainsaw mount, worked great! Would strongly recommend it. I had to remove the lower brake hose guide / horn mount to make room for the saw mount, but otherwise fitted up very nicely.
dANbOT

Postby dANbOT » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 am

Stuck at work for a couple weeks, brought both bikes with me to do some fiddling.
Went through al bearings on the Beta, they were honestly lubed quite well. Good to check though... must have been a monday build lol
dANbOT

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements