front wheel bearing failure repeating.

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

front wheel bearing failure repeating.

Postby Cruiser » Sat May 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Ok, So I've always had issues with wheel bearings. Rears go out all the time on all the bikes I ride, My past 450 and 525 exc were two sets a season. I blamed it on the coal dust and the road use it would get. Fronts every season etc. So my beta is really no different. I run a gummy tire and usually replace rears when I'm replacing the rear. Same with the front but get 2-3 rear tires to a front. Last season I had to replace both ends, then mid to late season the fronts again. I barely rode during covid end of the world crap, not much event and ones sold out in minutes mostly. so I expected longer time on parts. I rode two trail rides this season and getting the bike ready for a 180-200 mile ds event next weekend I checked it over and fronts were loose as crap. I've been trying different brands every time and only once or twice cheap ones. So replaced them today along with front rotor and pads. When tightening the axle and centering the axle I noticed a lot of play, the axle was not tightening on the bearings/spacers. I loosened and tightened several times and nothing. I inspected the axle, There is a plug behind the axle nut.. I believe to help drive out the axle and or to remove to clean threads in case of cross threading etc. Well this plug had backed out a bit and I think farther every time I had axle nut off. The nut was bottoming on the plug. I drove the plug in farther, like 4 turns and now everything seams good. Is my assumption of the plugs purpose correct? My KTM's nor my GG's ever had this. I kinda feel like a tool not catching this before multiple bearing failures. And they were always right before a ride and had to run around like crazy to get bearings. I'm going to my good bearing supplier and seeing if I can get a sleeve of those bearings and seals to keep in stock like I used to when I was more involved in events.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Re: front wheel bearing failure repeating.

Postby Aviduser » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:04 am

Hmm, im not sure about the axle/plug deal.

I thought you just tighten the brake side axle nut/pinch bolts. Then tighten the non brake side after aligning fork tubes.

Is the axle threaded on each end? Im not familiar with a plug or whatever it is.

Definitely get an o ring pick and carefully remove the seal from your bearings. Then pack them with grease, they usually come with a very modest amount of grease.

I do that when theyre new, and every 50 hrs or so thereafter.

I get at least 3 years out of a set of bearings.
Aviduser

Re: front wheel bearing failure repeating.

Postby Cruiser » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:24 pm

The plug is inside the axle on brake side. if it backs out it will not allow axle to tighten enough leaving a gap between the axle and spacer. It threads in where the axle bolt does, has an Allen socket to tighten. Mine had backed out thus making the axle bolt bottom before the axle is pulled tight.The wheel will then free float a bit. I suspect this is the cause of the front wheel bearing failures. This plug I believe is to give something to help push axle out.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Return to General Discussions & Announcements