First refuelling - running in

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: First refuelling - running in

Postby wwguy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:12 am

tullyhubbert wrote:Well I got out yesterday afternoon for the first time, 1.7hrs on the bike. As fenderworks said the bike hardly used any oil (Though I've 1% premix in the tank too) If I tilt the bike to the right the level goes down a little more, bike supplied with tank full to the very top when level/side stand. Not sure how much petrol I got through, why are the tanks flipin black anyway? Anyhow I'm not riding hard, just pootling about running in and tbh I don't ride particularly hard most of the time.

For what it's worth, this is a commonly reported observation for riders new to Beta's oil injection system. Bear in mind that the variable flow rate oil map programmed in the ECU will call for minimal flow at the low-RPM throttle position indicated in your videos. I.e. assuming 80:1 flow rate at your relatively low engine speed, you'll only consume 1.6 oz of oil for every gallon of gasoline, which may be difficult to detect by visual observation of oil tank level.

tullyhubbert wrote:I'd rather it was using some more oil tbh, I've a feeling I'm going to be converting to premix after 3hrs and first oil change. Until then I'll also run 1% premix. There's a kit I know but it can probably be done on the cheap too I imagine? Block of injection point, unplug pump, remove wire (TPS feedback perhaps)

Yes, it's a fairly simple matter to remove or reinstall the OI function without the OI Removal Kit offered by Beta. Just unplug the oil pump electrical connector in the airbox, disconnect the oil hose at the intake manifold, and cap the oil inlet port in the intake manifold with a vacuum cap and ziptie etc. (No need to disconnect the TPS electrical connector near the carb unless you have the OI removal kit and plan to remove the TPS device from the carb for slightly lighter throttle pull.)

The optional OI Removal Kit contains an intake manifold without oil inlet port, a physical plug to replace the TPS if you remove it from the carb, and a resitor that plugs into the disconnected oil pump connector to fool the ECU into believing the oil pump is still operational. The only reason for this is to disable the "check engine" warning light on the dash, however that warning light will illuminate anyway if the ECU detects the TPS has gone missing.

If not using the resistor supplied with the OI removal kit, the check engine light will be illuminated after you disconnect the oil pump. You can safely ignore this light if you're premixing oil and gas. However, if the warning light is annoying you, you can easily disable it by snipping the pink wire with the purple stripe at the speedo, as show in the pic below. That wire is controlled by the ECU and serves solely to illuminate the check engine light, which is only illuminated only when issue is detected with oil pump or TPS.

wwguy

Postby tullyhubbert » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:00 pm

thanks wwguy, all good looking info there
tullyhubbert

Postby tullyhubbert » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 am

wwguy wrote:No new engine ever suffered from too much lubrication.

And its been nagging me since I got the bike, I get that it has advantages but I just can't bring myself to trust it'll be 100% reliable over time. I'll be on a 3 day trail riding holiday in a few weeks time, that would have given me a better idea of how much oil it uses (Currently on 5 hrs), however I've now got an oil injection removal kit on order, hopefully it'll be with me later this week.

https://www.beta-uk.com/intake-manifold ... 82-00.html
tullyhubbert

Previous

Return to General Discussions & Announcements