Watch pipe clearance

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Watch pipe clearance

Postby super_rat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Ever since my 300r was new the pipe was very close to the left frame downtube and the water pump to radiator hose. The frame-pipe clearance was the thickness of two index cards, the pipe-hose clearance was maybe 3/32". After 37 hrs and the normal bumps the pipe was on the frame tube and slightly dented. No big deal but the pipe was up against the the hose and the hose split! Unknowingly ran out of coolant on the trail :o

For the both of these issues I removed the pipe, heated with a torch and added some custom dents to provide more clearance. Frame and hose clearance is now at least 1/4".

Suggest keeping an eye on these two areas.
2021 300 RR
2006 KLR 650
super_rat

Re: Watch pipe clearance

Postby JoeMaico » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:28 am

Yes, it is a common issue on Beta's unfortunately. With the original pipe on my 300, I was using an additional section of old radiator hose glued down over the suspect area. That worked for awhile until the pipe was bent just enough to make that solution unusable. I then went to high temp heat tape around the radiator hose and that worked for awhile as well. Eventually the last hit on the pipe left no other option except to buy a new FMF Fatty I do not know if it is a different design, or if my original pipe was just bent that far out of shape. But as of now, there is plenty of clearance - even more than I remember when it was new. Guess I will see how long it stays that way. Adding a custom dent sounds like a good idea. I still have my original, I think I will experiment.

joe
JoeMaico

Return to General Discussions & Announcements