bent my radiator, what should i do?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

bent my radiator, what should i do?

Postby Mslow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Well, I've been slacking on getting radiator guards and now I've got a problem.
Took a fall in a rock garden and it left me with a bent up radiator.
No leaks, but I can't leave it this way.
Need advice on fixing it or replacing it.
Also some advice on what guards to use, Unabiker, Enduro Engineering or Bullet Proof Designs?

Also, my pipe bent right through the carbon fiber guard and I noticed the mud flap rubbing pretty deep into my swingarm!
2014 300rr
Mslow

Re: bent my radiator, what should i do?

Postby Mslow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 pm

2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby twowheels » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Mslow wrote:Well, I've been slacking on getting radiator guards and now I've got a problem.
Took a fall in a rock garden and it left me with a bent up radiator.
No leaks, but I can't leave it this way.
Need advice on fixing it or replacing it.
Also some advice on what guards to use, Unabiker, Enduro Engineering or Bullet Proof Designs?

Also, my pipe bent right through the carbon fiber guard and I noticed the mud flap rubbing pretty deep into my swingarm!

We've got a GenII guard that would bolt right up and protect your new radiator, but we also sell EE and BPD ... oh, and we've got the right side rad in stock if you decide to go that route. PM me.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Marco,

That's not too bad, send it to Mylars should be no problem. I've fixed a couple like that in the past but if it cracks a joint while straightening then its a PIA. Get some good frames then !

Perfect example of why CF pipe guards are a waste for where we ride, as you can see. Did the header bend? Check and make sure the header is not cocked in the cylinder spigot, as it will wear the aluminum and then sealing is a problem. Just get the Force and be done with it, hands down the best setup I have ever used.

Thought I told you about the swingarm, same thing happened to mine last year. I bonded some aluminum pads over the wear spots. A zip tie around the swingarm bridge with the end spacing the mud flap off a few mm works OK too. Trimming it wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Mslow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for the replys
Knew I could count on GMP for the answers!

Pm-ing you two wheels, thanks
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby GMP » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Get that sent out ASAP so it's back for the Hammer Run!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby BassMan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm

For the swing arm I just took two zip ties and ran them next to each other looped through were the spring is with the heads right behind the mud flap. Has last 75 hrs of nasty muds and racing and works great. Myers for the rad. They will do both with reinforcement for 150 done. Of course if you want new, two wheels can hook you up. The unabiker rad guards are awesome.
BassMan

Postby Hyde » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I've straightened a 4t and a 2t Beta radiator that where a little worse than that, for the twist put it in a vise with wood blocks and just twist it back by hand there quite easy to untwist.

The crushed part I loop safety wire around the side plate through the cores a few times to make a loop were it needs pulled, find two wood blocks 6"-8" and support the radiator on the ends, set it on the edge of your work bench and use a big C clamp through the safety wire loop you made and the other end under the work bench top, with the threaded part of the clamp hanging toward the floor, and start screwing the clamp tight, you may need to make a few loops and work your way slowly pulling the cores straight.

Those radiator seem soft, but the are pretty easy to fix, I'll try and take a photo of the blocks and wire, but you need to untwist them first.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby Mslow » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Hyde, definitely post up your method of straightening then, thanks.
This time I sent the bent one to Mylers and getting the unabiker guards, but I'm sure I'll bend them again and I'll try your way next time for sure.

Glenn, it'll be ready for the hammer run, even if I have to run a rigged up radiator from something else. Can't miss that event!
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 pm

I'll be there one day, whatever day has the most trail. My wife's birthday weekend and racing two weekends back to back prior.

Jim has spare GG rads but the holes are different centers. Mylars is pretty fast, you should be OK.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements