beta radiator gaurds

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: beta radiator gaurds

Postby GMP » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:33 pm

The Bulletproof guards are just big expensive grills or caps, that do not cover much of the side of the rad. I guess if all you fall on is dirt, flat rocks or logs that's good. Problem is most rocks are jagged, and usually real gnarly where your inclined to fall. Hit the shroud behind that $200 guard on the point of a rock and it might as well not be there. I did exactly that with mine and fared fine. Just a different concept and school of thought, that's all. They are all fine until tested.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 am

I have a bent-up set of returned Gen I rad guards here on the bench - they didn't much like it when the forklift tine hit halfway between the struts :o
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:46 am

GMP wrote:The Bulletproof guards are just big expensive grills or caps, that do not cover much of the side of the rad. I guess if all you fall on is dirt, flat rocks or logs that's good. Problem is most rocks are jagged, and usually real gnarly where your inclined to fall. Hit the shroud behind that $200 guard on the point of a rock and it might as well not be there. I did exactly that with mine and fared fine. Just a different concept and school of thought, that's all. They are all fine until tested.

Oh well if it breaks it breaks.. I just haven't seen any break yet around here and I crash in rocky areas..riverbeds etc.. ..that's why I threw down the dough.. but everything breaks. Hopefully this will be good enough. The coverage looks very good and the side hits are covered decent but you're right that under the plastic the side of the radiator isn't covered by metal. Which do you think are the best as far as coverage for Beta?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 am

I think I coverd that one already. Depends on your needs and how far you want to go. Its just like the HI guys with the pipe cages, there is a need there that you guys and others who have ridden there(including me) know, but might appear ridiculous to someone in the desert or midwest even. I've smashed and seen other rads smashed enough times and ways to know what works and doesn't work. Most OTS braces are not strong enough and need help, not a complaint, just a different need. That BPD guard, being machined from a solid piece, might be $400 if it was longer and covered the sides of the rad, and even then there is no rear bracing. Lots of people have those and like them, but I'm just not buying into it for $200.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby GMP » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 am

twowheels wrote:I have a bent-up set of returned Gen I rad guards here on the bench - they didn't much like it when the forklift tine hit halfway between the struts :o

I see a market for a P1P Gen III "Extreme Edition" brace system!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 am

Does anyone know if the Unabiker guards will work with the Ims 3.2 gas tank?
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 pm

GMP wrote:I think I coverd that one already. Depends on your needs and how far you want to go. Its just like the HI guys with the pipe cages, there is a need there that you guys and others who have ridden there(including me) know, but might appear ridiculous to someone in the desert or midwest even. I've smashed and seen other rads smashed enough times and ways to know what works and doesn't work. Most OTS braces are not strong enough and need help, not a complaint, just a different need. That BPD guard, being machined from a solid piece, might be $400 if it was longer and covered the sides of the rad, and even then there is no rear bracing. Lots of people have those and like them, but I'm just not buying into it for $200.

Actually I haven't seen anyone go further than the bullet proof designs as far as strength in protection locally ... flatland is strong can adapt from ktm........devol etc are shitty and bend but better than nothing. The custom made heavy duty pipe guards are common for pipe guards but no custom work for guards for radiators that I have seen yet. Some guys have unibiker but not alot for ktm and gasgas maybe?. I haven't seen a wide variety of rad guards for Beta yet.. I guess that is still in flux as far as guards available. I've already fallen hard in a riverbed against some big boulders on the right side and
the bpd guard showed no sign of movement..no damage.. hopefully it's good enough.. I'll look at what I might do to improve like you say .. I might get big myler radiators in the future later...My Beta has been good with just the fan...but I like to be thorough so I might add the big ones just because anyway.I don't know how fitment may need to be adjusted or not. Actually I guess it would be good to look for more pics of stronger improved radiator guards on the web somewhere. I'm sure there ought to be some pics of some projects on ktm, gasgas or whatever threads somewhere.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:17 pm

BPD will be the best thing available until the impact point is behind it. Then it will hold up really well because it was never touched. The best setup would be welding nuts to the frame, to accept studs in the end of brace posts. Then, a thick plate with corresponding holes to bolt to the posts and just clear the rad. Then add a grill. It's all about getting the force around the rad to the frame. Notice what I did in the pic, it keeps the inner plate from being bent around the rad mount pad. Years ago I designed the simple "GMP Rad Braces" (cross brace posts) that Les was selling as part of his LTR GG accessories catalog when he was into that business. It has been the basis of every modified rad brace system since.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Mslow wrote:After crushing my rads, I went with the unabiker's after advice from a few guys here.
They work, real well. Tested them a few times already.

Say mslow, I'm about ready to order the Unabiker's and am wondering if U noticed any reduction in turning radius with them mounted? Thanks.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby mcnut » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

No effect on steering radius when using the UNABIKER guards.
mcnut

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements