Switching to Beta

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Switching to Beta

Postby EnduroBeta » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:03 pm

I currently ride a 98 gas gas ec 250, but i have really done my research and think that betas 300rr is right for me.
I am an experienced rider, and work on my own bikes.
I have really been struggling on choosing either 2016 beta 300rr or gas gas ec300.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
EnduroBeta

Re: Switching to Beta

Postby ricoyam » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 pm

EnduroBeta wrote:I currently ride a 98 gas gas ec 250, but i have really done my research and think that betas 300rr is right for me.
I am an experienced rider, and work on my own bikes.
I have really been struggling on choosing either 2016 beta 300rr or gas gas ec300.
What do you guys think?
Thanks

With Gas Gas shutting down does that option even exist?
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby EnduroBeta » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

ricoyam, yes the option still exist. Because gas gas is closing so they can find a way to reopen and be financially stable.

"Dear customers, partners and friends,
We are contacting you with this update regarding the current situation with the company.
As you all know, in recent months the company has gone through several legal proceedings in order to renegotiate the debt and to continue operations. Unfortunately, despite the valiant efforts made to achieve this goal, it has been impossible to reach and finally they have declared to proceed with the liquidation of Gas Gas Motos SA.
In this process, the current management team, the receivers and the council representatives of all employees are working full-throttle to collect all of the necessary information to begin the process of selling the factory and to close the subsequent sale process with potential buyers in the fastest way possible.
The target set by the sale of the production unit is to be able to reactivate the Gas Gas Motos factory in a way that allows us to produce our motorcycles, both enduro and trial, and ensure a solid and sustainable long term viability of the company.
During this stage of the sale process of the production unit, we at Gas Gas will make our utmost efforts to ensure the level of service in the areas of spare parts as well as in the after-sales department in order to avoid penalizing our customers during this period.
From Gas Gas, we convey our sincere thanks for your support during these months and wish to convey our total conviction on the feasibility of satisfactory results during the production unit sale process.
Best regards,
GAS GAS MOTOS SA"
EnduroBeta

Postby twowheels » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 pm

EnduroBeta wrote:ricoyam, yes the option still exist. Because gas gas is closing so they can find a way to reopen and be financially stable.

Not to be a sayer of 'Nay", but GasGas has pretty much exhausted their options in terms of refinancing and restructuring their debt. They are closing because they have to. Not to say they can't rise from the ash heap of history, but you'd think if there were any good ideas floating around they would already have been explored.

That being said the bikes were actually pretty decent, and if I thought I'd never crash or break any parts they would be a good buy right now.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Mark Donovan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:01 am

Gas Gas had parts delivery issues way before all of this. Unfortunately when you have the bikes and parts for the bikes coming to the US through two different importers that's a recipe for disaster. We waited a month and a half for a rear fender for a 2007 EC300. Hope they get things worked out.
The 2016 Beta is a hands down superior bike by a mile in my opinion. Oil injection, e-start that is not an afterthought, incredible re-sale, excellent parts availability, not to mention The quality, the warranty, and the handling. Maybe on a Gas Gas forum they may be more optimistic and may have some insight from a different point of view. You never know what drives a purchase decision.
Mark Donovan
Adventure Off Road
2539 Highway 43 South
Leoma Tn. 38468
931-852-5445
http://www.thebetaclub.com
2014 300RR Race Edition
Mark Donovan

Location: Leoma Tennessee Beta Motorcycle sales/parts/suspension/service

Postby GMP » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:04 am

I've had six GGs before my Beta, four personal 250s and two others in the family. GG problems go way back and the underlying financial difficulties manifested themselves as nagging quality issues with the bikes as they had little vendor clout. Even if GG were up and running, business as usual means the Beta is a much more refined superior bike and a much better overall ownership experience. My brother just switched to a Beta 300 from his Husky and the bike is every bit the same quality as mine. Something you won't find with a sampling of production GGs.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Racemx904 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:46 am

I've had GG and I never really had a quality problem in fact my 04 250 was a good bike and the ergonomics were great.... I traded up (or i thought I was) to a 09 300 which I didnt have any problems with even though I didnt keep it long because it was built for short people.... in fact I loved the clutch acuation and wish KTM and others would learn from them....
Racemx904

Postby GMP » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:07 pm

That's funny because all the pre '12 bikes were basically the same size. Frames varied in shock mount position, motor location, and minor rake tweaks. The old clutches are actually better than the new ones. Pull is always good but oil flow in the various baskets over the years changed with vendors. The '12 basket outright failed in my buddy's bike.

The Beta I'd say splits the difference in size between older and newer GG platforms, and has none of the issues of either.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Racemx904 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:26 pm

I cant wait to get the rest of my cash together and order my bike....

still havent decided on 300 (which this would make 12 years on a 300 plus a 125 thrown in there or switch to a 4 stroke..... i like the idea of a 430
Racemx904

Postby bigoscycles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:05 pm

That 430 is going to be a beast. I can't wait to get one in the shop.
bigoscycles

Location: Clanton, Al. Motorcycle Sales, Service, & Racing Suspension

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements