Enduro guy getting his first trials bike

For those who ride "feet up".

Enduro guy getting his first trials bike

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Guys,

I have been riding Enduro for the past 20 years. I've always wanted to do some cross training with trials, but never got around to getting a trials bike to play with.

my current Enduro ride is a Beta 300rr, and I'm picking up a Beta Rev3 (2002) this weekend as my entry into the trials world. I live in an area on NJ where the terrain really lends itself to trials, in fact most of our single track trails are better suited for a trials bike than a full on Enduro bike and that's the way we like it!

I've been watching the video Barry Morris has been putting out and it really lit the fire for me to get started (crosstrainingenduro.com).....so of course I have a lot of questions:

buying the Rev 3 knowing nothing about it other than it's a Beta...anything to look out for? (I'm getting it cheap so I expect it will need some TLC)

I never really seem trials guys wearing much for protective gear? on the Enduro bike I've got everything on..chest protector, Sidi Crossfires boots, CTI knee braces, elbow guards...tool pack...drink system....etc...etc... and I would never think of swinging my leg over the Enduro bike without all that gear. The reason I'm getting into trials is to improve my technical skills in extreme rocky conditions so I aspire to try things that I would not normally attempt on my enduro bike (eventually) but can't imagine doing it without all my protective gear (at least not at the age of 46) so the question is am I going to be able to effectively ride trials with all that stuff on?

I know this will vary greatly depending on terrain and speed, but what is the general range of the Rev3 fuel tank. I'm going to setup a practice loop out of my house, but occasionally I'll probably want to ventrue a little further to some other areas
Thanks for any advice,

Andy
katoom400

Re: Enduro guy getting his first trials bike

Postby Balkan boy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 am

Andy,

Congratulations on a new toy.
I came very close to doing the same about six months ago, and although it wasn't to happen at the time, I did a lot of research on the subject. Here are some things I found.
I also started with the Betas and narrowed it to later models (2005-2009) 2T Rev 3 and early models (2010-2011) 2T Evo. Price difference of around 1000-1500$ was in favor of the Rev. Consensus on the various forums was that a beginner rider would be satisfied with any Trial bike younger then 10 years and by any manufacturer.
You can read more about some little issues on the Rev here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/forum/5-beta/. I've found nothing that would deter me from a reasonably kept bike. If I remember correctly, Rev's range was around 40-50km. Don't rush with long-distance tank.

I don't have any direct experience with riding Trial, but I quickly discovered that all Enduro gear is useless when putting along on my RR in the yard. When you take out the speed, things become a lot safer. Boots and helmets are the biggest difference. I have a lot more finesse and range of motion in Sidi Discovery boots then in Crossfires. Most of the Trial riders I've seen will only wear simple knee guards.

Post some pictures when you get it.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 am

katoom400

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 am

Can't see that image but I suspect he is trying to show you there is no good place to fall down here! There are no nice groomed practice areas or obstacles in the middle of fields. Anything that looks like a cool thing to play on like big rocks and ledges are surounded by other rocks and things that will tear you up, there is very little smooth dirt here. So at any speed in the woods all the gear is a must, unless you take the time to set up a specific practice area.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby bmrev01 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:44 am

I recently purchased a 2 bike trials combo rode them both and ended up keeping the better of the 2. With that said I was able to try my brothers vintage trials course a week after his event with my 2003 Sherco. I have ridden bikes all my life but never Trials. I must admit these can be very different then what I was used too. After our first lap and trying all 8 sections I was getting the hang of it. I also came up short a few times and landed hard on the ground hard. I had on full gear with an open faced helmet. Wearing full gear was very difficult as I was over heating after the first 2 sections. I am not sure what a beginner should wear but I was grateful to have the extra protection that day. I know next time out I will wear a thinner pair of riding pant for sure.
I think they are a great tool as well and hate to say left the Beta in the trailer for the full 5 hour ride.
bmrev01

Postby betajuice » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

so many opinions out there, in our club we have an old guy who just wears gumboots, then a younger guy with neck brace, armor, the works.

i figured i was about middle of the road... proper trials boots, knee guards, elbow guards, gloves, full face helmet. i didn't overheat but could land on rocks etc without too much drama.

it surprised me most of the A grade riders have no knee or elbow guards but they seemed to always jump off their bikes and land on their feet, something i rarely did. :D
betajuice

Postby Dirt Dud » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Andy if you can get off during the week starting in a few weeks we will be riding in Saylorsburg Pa once a week starting around 5 /5:30 one night a week . And we trials ride some weekends also , see how far that is from your house ?
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Dirt Dud wrote:Andy if you can get off during the week starting in a few weeks we will be riding in Saylorsburg Pa once a week starting around 5 /5:30 one night a week . And we trials ride some weekends also , see how far that is from your house ?

looks like it about an hour from my house, but week nights are tough for me.
katoom400

Postby Dirt Dud » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:58 pm

If you have riding there I will come to you ? I enjoy finding new places to ride and no one gets mad at you cause it is quiet .
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby katoom400 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:09 am

I have plenty of trail right out of my driveway, and and I want to put a "trials training" loop in close to my house. there are some hilly areas and plenty of boulders to play on. there are also some areas of the forest that where flattened after Sandy came thru. we are working on cutting new trail thru all the blown down spruce's so we have plenty of big logs to work with.

Glen also found me some tractor tires at the local department of public works so I might grab them and add them into the mix.

I'm picking up the bike this week, and the I need to go over it..it need fork seals and tires for sure. but other than that the guys says it's been very well cared for.
katoom400

Next

Return to Trials