RK head for Beta 300 rr

Re: RK head for Beta 300 rr

Postby Goatse » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 pm

typeone wrote:Rob, 250 or 300? i'd love to try the RK on my 250. i have the Slavens S3 right now and love it... but the RK sounds even better. :!:

I can't imagine much being better than my 250RR with the RK head on it. The bike has more torque than before, so it's absolutely silly at climbs. And believe it or not it seems to spool up even faster than it did stock.

So it has more zap, 'and' more torque than the already killer Beta 250. So you can imagine how good of an engine it now has.
Goatse

Postby Rob578 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 pm

aj_mariner wrote:Does Kelsey recommend changing squish or PV set-point for the various heads?...or is it just bolt on and rip?

Not to get into a long winded discussion but I ordered a selection of base gaskets to try and ended up using the thinnest, .03mm I think. I didn't have the proper gauge but I could have probably gone thinner judging by the straight edge. Kelsey also said you can stack the gaskets and raise the exhaust port but he would have to make a special insert if you wanted to go that route.

As for the power valve, I had been running mine flush with the case, seemed like it gave it a little more grunt down low and made picking the front wheel up at low speeds a little easier. With the new head it's nearly unrideable out flush, I went in 1 1/2 turns and may even turn it farther in.
Rob578

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:58 am

aj_mariner wrote:Does Kelsey recommend changing squish or PV set-point for the various heads?...or is it just bolt on and rip?

Id say bolt on and rip but actually you talk to him and order for your preferences so maybe it’s different for different orders? Idk. For me it was bolt on ... but playing with the powervalve I think just goes with adding a mod like this.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 am

Rob578 wrote:

Not to get into a long winded discussion but I ordered a selection of base gaskets to try and ended up using the thinnest, .03mm I think. I didn't have the proper gauge but I could have probably gone thinner judging by the straight edge. Kelsey also said you can stack the gaskets and raise the exhaust port but he would have to make a special insert if you wanted to go that route.

As for the power valve, I had been running mine flush with the case, seemed like it gave it a little more grunt down low and made picking the front wheel up at low speeds a little easier. With the new head it's nearly unrideable out flush, I went in 1 1/2 turns and may even turn it farther in.

I got the different setup than you I think..thicker base gaskets..I rode a short initial ride late afternoon till it was kind of dark... It just seemed like smooth and a bit more throughout the range bottom to top. I need to ride in daylight and Im a bit sick today. Another day I’ll ride and get a better assessment. I was going through the gears on a too dark sky . I couldn’t see the ground too well on open road. I started in technical woods stuff in some mud and I just was going in highest gearsand lugging low rpm to see how it ran. It’s good!. I just had to just get on the bike for a little while even if I didn’t feel good. Still I expressed concern about making sure my bike would be still good for technical when talking to Kelsey when ordering.. It is so Im relieved and it’s improved. Still I need a day of riding and following some of Kelseys recommendations. Im thinking my bikes performance will continue to change with settings adjusted.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:31 pm

New ring and end of the day so just going slow and lugging in the dark . I’ll drop the needle one and see how it goes later on another day and adjust pv etc. It’s still real linear and lugging like how I wanted. I didn’t want an mx power type bike so much so will see how it goes on a clear day. Still we will see.. Lately we’ve been having storm flood type conditions so will open it up when those conditions pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypWURtP ... ture=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB7VHA2 ... ture=share
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Goatse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 am

Did you change your jetting at all when you put it in?
Goatse

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:52 am

Goatse wrote:Did you change your jetting at all when you put it in?

I’ve done nothing so far. Ive been recommended to go the same setup like Kelsey has on his 15 300 rr. Ive only done the head alone so far. I’ll add his setup more completely a little at a time. I don’t think I’ll put the pro Circuit pipe though. I don’t think it fits in my ptech guard.. but idk. Didn’t try yet. It’s a very close fit with the stock pipe though.

Did you change your jetting?? You got a different setup than I have but I didn’t have a conversation about jetting changes. Don’t remember now..I think there wasn’t a mention of it being needed but I guess I can just call back or check his email again.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm curious how the gnarly pipe will work with the new head? Maybe switch to a fatty?
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Darkside wrote:I'm curious how the gnarly pipe will work with the new head? Maybe switch to a fatty?

I guess you might talk to Kelsey about that. From conversations with some so far the stock Beta pipe seems to be close or the same as a fatty but idk. A stock Beta has tons of low end. I was looking for a little bit more everywhere and still be linear for tech stuff. It may be different for other setups for others.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Goatse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:38 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:
Goatse wrote:Did you change your jetting at all when you put it in?

I’ve done nothing so far. Ive been recommended to go the same setup like Kelsey has on his 15 300 rr. Ive only done the head alone so far. I’ll add his setup more completely a little at a time. I don’t think I’ll put the pro Circuit pipe though. I don’t think it fits in my ptech guard.. but idk. Didn’t try yet. It’s a very close fit with the stock pipe though.

Did you change your jetting?? You got a different setup than I have but I didn’t have a conversation about jetting changes. Don’t remember now..I think there wasn’t a mention of it being needed but I guess I can just call back or check his email again.

I was trying to narrow down the Suzuki needles but kept having issues until the bike got nice and hot. This happened before the head as well. The issue started the day I started running the Suzuki needles. So I've now just went back to the stock needle and jetting as per the Beta chart. I'll post here with how that works.

Kelsey is running a KTM 300 needle, with a modified slide. We had a pretty long convo about his modified slide and it actually made my issue with the Suzuki needles completely make sense. I'd like to run his suggestion, but I'm not brave enough to take a Dremel to my slide. I'll go back to the stock jetting and see how I like it with this head.
Goatse

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures & Videos