RK head for Beta 300 rr

Re: RK head for Beta 300 rr

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Goatse wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:
Goatse wrote:Did you change your jetting at all when you put it in?

I’ve done nothing so far. Ive been recommended to go the same setup like Kelsey has on his 15 300 rr. Ive only done the head alone so far. I’ll add his setup more completely a little at a time. I don’t think I’ll put the pro Circuit pipe though. I don’t think it fits in my ptech guard.. but idk. Didn’t try yet. It’s a very close fit with the stock pipe though.

Did you change your jetting?? You got a different setup than I have but I didn’t have a conversation about jetting changes. Don’t remember now..I think there wasn’t a mention of it being needed but I guess I can just call back or check his email again.

I was trying to narrow down the Suzuki needles but kept having issues until the bike got nice and hot. This happened before the head as well. The issue started the day I started running the Suzuki needles. So I've now just went back to the stock needle and jetting as per the Beta chart. I'll post here with how that works.

Kelsey is running a KTM 300 needle, with a modified slide. We had a pretty long convo about his modified slide and it actually made my issue with the Suzuki needles completely make sense. I'd like to run his suggestion, but I'm not brave enough to take a Dremel to my slide. I'll go back to the stock jetting and see how I like it with this head.

Ive been looking on eBay and wherever for another slide to maybe cut. I think our slide is a 7 but must double check. I wonder as well how our bikes might run with different number slides as well. I see there’s mods for husky and ktm online.. got venting issues for the airbox and jetting changes etc etc for those. If I find another slide for not too much money I’ll go get my file out and do Kelseys mod. There’s the pro Circuit pipe and I forget the other mod mentioned now. First thing Ill do is just drop the needle.. no wait maybe pv first then needle and go from there. Kelsey didn’t mention the Ktm needle. I can call back I guess to ask but not till I ride as is now.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Looking for another slide so I can always put my stock slide back if need be. I think Beta has a #7 slide
hawaiidirtrider

Postby KB112 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:17 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:Looking for another slide so I can always put my stock slide back if need be. I think Beta has a #7 slide

What are you trying to fix by filing the slide? Does it not run as well with the new head?
KB112

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 pm

KB112 wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:Looking for another slide so I can always put my stock slide back if need be. I think Beta has a #7 slide

What are you trying to fix by filing the slide? Does it not run as well with the new head?

It’s not a “fix”. There are different prescribed setups for different bikes for different ways you want the bike to run. . The setup I have has some different recommendations. I just didn’t do any other recommendations besides changing the head yet . I’ll see how each mod added changes the bike. It’s good now though but we will see how it works later . The slide cut a certain way was one recommended mod. I just wanted my stock slide in case I wanted to go back later. I could have got a head you just take off the stock head and replace . I got another setup.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm

I went riding yesterday at our riding park so I was able to open it up a bit and to some and lugg down in slow and climb hills.. Damn it’s a great improvement throughout the range. I dropped the needle one as well. I’m happy. I'm going to continue playing around and ride it more. I do need to get some new tires on bad though. That was evident. I will put new rubber and see how it goes again. I’m stoked!!!I still have more mods to add to improve. I got another slide from my Dad so I can go back to the stock slide if I want to .
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Goatse » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:55 pm

KB112 wrote:

This is a change that benefits the stock head that has the same issue as well. The Beta slide leads to a rich condition at idle, low RPM. This became quite apparent to me in the winter months on the Suzuki needles. My bike has no thermostat, so it takes longer to get hot (which helps proper combustion). What I found was to get my bike to start and run cleanly the first bit, would end up showing lean signs once nice and hot. I've actually always found my Beta to be extra phlegmy after cold starts and really needs to be cleaned out once warmed up. Just less so with the NOZJ needle and the Beta suggested jets for some reason. The modified slide (apparently) rectifies this, and leans out/cleans up the idle and off idle rich condition. So somebody can run the richer jets that are ideal when the bike is nice and hot, but won't load up while it's getting there.
Goatse

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Goatse wrote:
KB112 wrote:

This is a change that benefits the stock head that has the same issue as well. The Beta slide leads to a rich condition at idle, low RPM. This became quite apparent to me in the winter months on the Suzuki needles. My bike has no thermostat, so it takes longer to get hot (which helps proper combustion). What I found was to get my bike to start and run cleanly the first bit, would end up showing lean signs once nice and hot. I've actually always found my Beta to be extra phlegmy after cold starts and really needs to be cleaned out once warmed up. Just less so with the NOZJ needle and the Beta suggested jets for some reason. The modified slide (apparently) rectifies this, and leans out/cleans up the idle and off idle rich condition. So somebody can run the richer jets that are ideal when the bike is nice and hot, but won't load up while it's getting there.

I’m just going slow step by step. So far I’m good. Im happy with the head as is but look forward to trying the slide cut. I cut the slide my Dad gave me. It was a 6. ... but not now.. It’s it’s own number now. My Dad was giving me some pointers as he’s been cutting slides and tuning since the 60s. Here I was looking for ebay slides and he walks to his toolbox and pulls out about 4 slides and says “ How about this one?” . Duh I’m such a dummy. Got a source so close but didn’t even think to ask. Carb mods can start overlapping with needle jets and cutting slides and different needles etc. I don’t want to jump around here. Stock for tech Beta is good for what Im doing. I like the carb being a little fat. .. but Im not riding mx and my weather conditions here might be a bit different yet more consistent than maybe others. Some are having more variables and variations must be a little different where you are. Whatever.. It’s great so far... with the slide cut added in the future will be fun.. plus it didn’t cost me anything.. Id post a pic but my phone pics don’t load here
hawaiidirtrider

Postby enduroPNW » Wed May 02, 2018 6:12 am

This is a change that benefits the stock head that has the same issue as well. The Beta slide leads to a rich condition at idle, low RPM. This became quite apparent to me in the winter months on the Suzuki needles. My bike has no thermostat, so it takes longer to get hot (which helps proper combustion). What I found was to get my bike to start and run cleanly the first bit, would end up showing lean signs once nice and hot. I've actually always found my Beta to be extra phlegmy after cold starts and really needs to be cleaned out once warmed up. Just less so with the NOZJ needle and the Beta suggested jets for some reason. The modified slide (apparently) rectifies this, and leans out/cleans up the idle and off idle rich condition. So somebody can run the richer jets that are ideal when the bike is nice and hot, but won't load up while it's getting there.[/quote]

I’m just going slow step by step. So far I’m good. Im happy with the head as is but look forward to trying the slide cut. I cut the slide my Dad gave me. It was a 6. ... but not now.. It’s it’s own number now. My Dad was giving me some pointers as he’s been cutting slides and tuning since the 60s. Here I was looking for ebay slides and he walks to his toolbox and pulls out about 4 slides and says “ How about this one?” . Duh I’m such a dummy. Got a source so close but didn’t even think to ask. Carb mods can start overlapping with needle jets and cutting slides and different needles etc. I don’t want to jump around here. Stock for tech Beta is good for what Im doing. I like the carb being a little fat. .. but Im not riding mx and my weather conditions here might be a bit different yet more consistent than maybe others. Some are having more variables and variations must be a little different where you are. Whatever.. It’s great so far... with the slide cut added in the future will be fun.. plus it didn’t cost me anything.. Id post a pic but my phone pics don’t load here[/quote]

Just down load a photo resizing app on your phone. I use this one only take a second to resize and post. I wanna see these slide cuts lol
Attachments
Screenshot_20180502-060553_Photo & Picture Resizer-576x1184.jpg
Screenshot_20180502-060553_Photo & Picture Resizer-576x1184.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
2015 Beta 250 RR
2016 KTM 690 enduro
Instagram @jt_PNW
PNW
WA
enduroPNW

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 am

Rob578 wrote:I had the head setup for sea level and pump gas, I usually run C12 but sometimes need pump gas to get back home. I also put a new piston in (even though the old one was perfectly fine) so my first 4 mile loop around my favorite riding area was going to be relatively slow. The bike starts quickly and idles just fine. I take off down the trail and hit the first set of water breaks in 3rd gear,, blip the throttle good like I always do to clear the paddle on the other side of the water break and damn, it launches the bike off the top and I very nearly loop it out. I felt like a total idiot and was very glad no one saw that move. Continue on down the trail and the motor is almost unmanageable, it pulls so hard the front is in the air or the rear is spinning. I had been running the PV adjuster flush and I headed back to the trailer for some adjustments.
I turned the power valve in a turn and a half and that cured the monster hit down low but it is still a raging motor. Kelsey said it was worth a "couple" of horsepower but the butt dyno says it's more than a couple. I may go in another turn on the PV and see what happens. May fatten up the needle also, seems a tad lean.

It really transforms the motor, it even sounds different. Probably the most bang for the buck of any engine mod I've ever done.

The motor also runs a lot cooler.

Can't wait to see what you think about it.

PS I don't work for RK Tech and this is the first product I've ever bought from them.

I’m definitely feeling a broad power added through the range . Im stoked! It’s just what I want... just more of what the bike already has. .. Im thinking your RK setup is different but I’m getting good results no matter. Still to ride more and test more. It’s about to start storming again soon though. Need to change tire.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks! I never thought to look. That makes sense.

Just down load a photo resizing app on your phone. I use this one only take a second to resize and post. I wanna see these slide cuts lol[/quote]
hawaiidirtrider

Previous

Return to Pictures & Videos