Balance practice.

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Balance practice.

Postby Johnno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 am

Something I used to do and Barry featured in a vid a while ago, you get a stool, milk crate, bike stand whatever, about the height of your foot peg on either side and try to balance feet up without moving.

The stands either side mean you don't have to dab all the way to the ground.

I can balance a bit on a bike but would like to get better again.

So I am in the shed, have a bike stand either side, wearing AdIdas slides and shorts, motor off obviously and balancing away or trying to.

Oooh, that one on the right is a lil close, I should move it, nah it'll be right.

Boom, over we go, the stand toppled over and my leg goes down beside it and I am headed towards my GSXR 600 with my guitar leaning against it falling like a felled pine tree.I try to catch it and sort of do, but I pinched against the top of the stand with petrol leaking everywhere, I think a bit got into the graze on my leg.

So yeah, you and your training Barry. Eff you and the ship on which you sail.

I am getting slightly drunk from here on in. I give it 45 minutes and I will be balance practicing again.
Loose...
Johnno

Re: Balance practice.

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:30 am

I think we could be mates! That sound like something I'd do. :o
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Johnno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm

I sent a text to a riding friend describing my dismount. He sarcastically remarked that now I was crashing while not moving.

I said I have my best crashes at zero speed, he's usually there when I do. Like dead stall on a hill, cave the radiator in on a rock and then cart wheel down the side of the mountain.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Okay, stage 2 of better balance and training.

I went poking around a very long since disused coal mine about 400 yards from my house. We all rode around there as kids, no one does now. Finally someone has cut the long grass down enough for me to get a practice track going. It's beside the highway so plenty of noise already but, I idle in there so as not to upset any of the neighbours on the way in.

I can go over the other side of the highway to the dirt roads to hit band, this area for me is for balance, there is a steep rise of coal, dirt, rocks, dead trees and stolen car parts I have a track up and then down on. On my down section, at the top about a bike and a bit length back, is a mound of dirt and concrete chunks, I'll incorporate that as well. So, over a shoulder high mound and then down a steep slope. The up section is slightly longer than the down abut very steep at the top, I find staying in second you need to modulate the gas pretty well or you will have trouble. hit it in third and you can roll off at 75% the way up and roll over the top.

I'll do both. Eventually I'll use the rougher bits of it as well. I have discovered I have what in golfing terms is called the " yips " you just lose your mojo.

Over recent times, probably since I stepped up to the 300RR I find I can't ride my way out of a wet paper bag. So, instead of losing my sh!t over it ( already did that up the mountains once or twice ) I am starting over again with the basics, get my slow riding competency back up to scratch.

The 300RR is actually very quiet if you just potter about. My DRZ 400 sounds like a speedway bike which is why I never really went to this area much on it.

So, after this cup of tea, I am going to adjust my RC Hi bars and go back. I might even put the stockers back on, I have the mounts in the front hole facing forward, so internet position #4. I found that standing up is okay but I rode into a dead end in some brush and sitting down I may as well been trying to control the bike with reigns..
Loose...
Johnno

Postby katoom400 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 pm

good work....I've recently noticed that when getting out of the shower and putting on my briefs I have to dab at least twice.

I think I need to get in the garage and practice my brief installing skills and transfer that to my riding...or vise versa...is that considered cross training?
katoom400

Postby Johnno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:59 pm

I believe so, yes.

When you dive that pointed toe effortlessly through the leg hole, you can consider that a clean section.

If you flat foot the fork of the underpants to the floor and near poke a hole in the dry wall with your head falling over, that's a 3.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Dirt Dud » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Ryan Young made it the main tool to getting better at trials . Dead engine balance on a flat floor then start doing hops my son did 35 in a row . I am trying it on my 125rr beta notnear as easy as the trials bike .
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby Deck1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 am

Johnno wrote:I believe so, yes.

When you dive that pointed toe effortlessly through the leg hole, you can consider that a clean section.

If you flat foot the fork of the underpants to the floor and near poke a hole in the dry wall with your head falling over, that's a 3.

CLASSIC!! I have added the "put socks on, while standing on 1 leg" maneuver. When I pull my sock up, I try to extend my leg out in front of me about chest height. It impresses the wife when I pull it off correctly, and has her laughing breathlessly on the floor when I fail horribly! :lol:
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

I must have missed the original post - CLASSIC!

Regarding the unsupported application of skivvies and socks, I've been doing that for some time in an attempt to improve or at least maintain reasonable balance since I invaded the seventh decade 7 yrs ago. I haven't been injured utilizing this method but there have been some interesting hops when things go awry, probably pretty funny watching a naked ole fart trying to be coordinated!
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Return to Riding Techniques & Training