After a sedentary year

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

After a sedentary year

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:32 am

Things go to h*ll! This is the day after going back to our physical fitness trainer here locally, and I'm sore! Did group classes with him for 3 years and went from 175 lbs to almost 195 lbs. I got strong! Then I took a week off last September, that turned into a month, which turned into a year.

Finally went back last night and got myself humbled. But I'm going back on Friday, and the second workout is the hardest. I just need that structure and someone making me do the hard work, so a trainer fits for me, and group classes for a year is around the retail price for an aftermarket four stroke pipe or some complete suspension revalve and respring jobs.

In the year off, I went from 195 to 205, and not in the good way. If you need a boost to get your conditioning where it needs to be, I'd recommend getting with a trainer, at least to start. Then don't stop your routine like I did.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Re: After a sedentary year

Postby flybars » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:15 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been thinking pilates mights be a good choice for me.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby twowheels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 am

I'm thinking riding - at least once a week, all year 'round :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Don't get me started... let's see this one is the front brake, and this one is the clutch. My 11 year old girl hopped on her KX65 the first time in a long time this weekend, and just before her rear hit the seat I asked her where the brakes were. Good thing I asked! She did however learn how to kick it over herself! That just made my job this fall a LOT easier.

Where did I put my advil? Its' been four hours.

Jerry
Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm

http://www.feldmanperformance.com

Here's my trainer's website, he's got some good articles and videos and tips. Maybe this will help some of you with your fitness goals. Bar none, the best thing I started doing was getting a foam roller and working out all the old scar tissue and knots that limit your flexibility. It's called 'self myofascial release' and it really works. Hurts like crazy when you first start though, that's how you know it's working!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt0WygONe3o

She needs a set of Beta tights, but you get the idea.
Hawkeye

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 am

Three letters: T R X

This has worked fantastic for me. I've done a lot of different workout plans and this has got to be the most efficient as far as gains vs. time spent. I've had this certified personal trainer for over a year, a tough chick from Brooklyn, NY, who delighted in kicking my ass. She would go to seminars and learn new exercises from the Navy SEAL who invented the device, program, and started the company. I lost over 15 lbs., and got a lot stronger overall. The thing with this is you can do everything with it, including integrating cardio. I'm sad this girl has left the gym that is near and subsidised by my work, her replacement is a mere shadow. I learned enough from her to train with another guy and do it an hour a day, 4 to 5 days a week, and integrate some kettlebell work with it. I take it on vacation, camping, everywhere I go and never miss a workout.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm shit shape right now.. So it's good to see you guys doing what's necessary. I'm going to start riding... alot and making use of my gym membership...and just moving more. After the last ride I had fun but know I can be so much better.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Ctkny » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Try a concept 2 rower if you get the chance. Works great
Ctkny

Postby Nicajohn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:41 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:I'm shit shape right now.. So it's good to see you guys doing what's necessary. I'm going to start riding... alot and making use of my gym membership...and just moving more. After the last ride I had fun but know I can be so much better.

You have to live close to beach over there. In my case there's no better workout than surfing. Works everything including your balance. Even a long paddle. If I'm not working(roofing) riding or running/gym I'll try and paddle out. Spent few winters traveling Mexico Costa Rica and Nicaragua, and between diet(almost all protein and fiber) and surfing and walking everywhere, I was solid. Got married. Trips got shorter and physique suffered. At 36 I could really feel it when I'd ride. Hit gym but that alone is tough. What you take in to your body, older we get, affects everything. Now I'm 40 and watching diet and workout regiment and I feel like I'm 30.
Nicajohn

Postby Survivor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Training becomes a must when you start riding "off road" for the first time after 65 years old.
I train every time I can when I have enough energy to do so.
When you get that old and also after living many side effects from cancer treatments for three past head cancer, everything is very hard but also very rewarding.
It is hard to explain the incredible joy of riding and living to the "Max" after life allows you to carry on.
Training is walking 3 to 4 times/week 4 km.
Light weight lifting twice a week (to be able to lift that X Trainer when needed).
Balance board 3x10 mtes per day.
Push up 40 twice a week.
Stetching moovements for 20 mtes every day.
Bicycling 20 km three times a week (stationary in winter).
I am a slow advance novice or low intermediate rider.
This off road riding makes me so happy.
The main goal of riding for me is to enjoy being able to do so.
Survivor

Next

Return to Riding Techniques & Training