Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & training

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Re: Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & traini

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:35 pm

The JD needles, Blue and Red, are several diameters apart, not even close. When they work for a certain altitude and temp they work good, but for a seasonal temp change one clip position is sometimes too much and going from the red to blue or visa versa is way too much change on the dia. The NECx and NEDx are 1/2 clip position apart and available in a complete range of diameters. So are the OEM series needles, and the factory chart reflects these finer changes.

Right now we have this JD needle issue with my friends GasGas. Blue is perfect in cool spring, fat in summer. Red too lean period.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:55 pm

GMP wrote:Right now we have this JD needle issue with my friends GasGas. Blue is perfect in cool spring, fat in summer. Red too lean period.

I have also had this issue with JD needles.
Hammer

Postby betajuice » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 am

any chance you guys can provide specifics as to the actual temperature range, needle and position? temps are probably going to vary compared to here down under where we finally stop sweating too much in winter then progress to unbearably hot, humid and sticky in summer.

i was thinking of doing a review on the JD kit so be good to know how it went in cooler climates.
betajuice

Postby betajuice » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 pm

more logs, rock faces and a bit of disco dancing. we are suckers for punishment if nothing else.

here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJlR9YZQ1QM

betajuice

Postby betajuice » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:47 pm

a quick training vid about walking bikes down steep or in this case very slippery descents.

https://youtu.be/GzDAA8i52pk
betajuice

Postby Jakobi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 am

GMP wrote:The JD needles, Blue and Red, are several diameters apart, not even close. When they work for a certain altitude and temp they work good, but for a seasonal temp change one clip position is sometimes too much and going from the red to blue or visa versa is way too much change on the dia. The NECx and NEDx are 1/2 clip position apart and available in a complete range of diameters. So are the OEM series needles, and the factory chart reflects these finer changes.

Right now we have this JD needle issue with my friends GasGas. Blue is perfect in cool spring, fat in summer. Red too lean period.

Well said Glenn!

When you factor in the cost of a JD kit, and the price of OEM needles you can get a real arrangement happening and truly get the bike dialled in to a level above that that JD achieves.

Regardless of either route, getting 80% there takes 20% of the time, and most of the time is then spent fine tuning.
Jakobi

Postby Balkan boy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:16 am

betajuice wrote:a quick training vid about walking bikes down steep or in this case very slippery descents.

https://youtu.be/GzDAA8i52pk

Here are some different approaches by the professionals at this year's Erzberg.

(Starts around 1h21min to 1h27min)
https://youtu.be/3kAV03cHXkA?t=1h21m21s

I curse myself every time I walk the bike down the hill. It saps energy and fatigues the wrists because of the awkward angle.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 am

Yeah that GG is like the ghost of my old bike haunting me! Defies jetting logic, a real ball buster. I think there is an issue with the CDI as it never starts consistant either.

Do you hang with these guys Jake? Cool stuff. I'm finding that my setup while good for me racing is not comfortable in these trials like moves. Standing wheelies and slower moves initiated from the standing position seem to need the bars rotated way foward but that doesn't work well with Flexbars and for general seated/standing riding. Also my bike is too stiff for this at the low speeds and I cannot compress/bounce it like shown. I'm sure a lot of it is just me but the feel is just not correct. Then I sat on a new Beta trials bike and can see and feel, staticly anyway, how its supposed to be! Suspension needs much lighter damping especially rebound for bounce moves and softer springs as well, I'm the other direction. Now I want one but likely not happening. :(
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby betajuice » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Balkan boy wrote:Here are some different approaches by the professionals at this year's Erzberg. (Starts around 1h21min to 1h27min)
https://youtu.be/3kAV03cHXkA?t=1h21m21s I curse myself every time I walk the bike down the hill. It saps energy and fatigues the wrists because of the awkward angle.

those guys are freaks. pity they never got a side angle, i'm assuming that loose slope was close to 45 degrees. jarvis was simply amazing, feet up at points with both wheels sliding sideways. :shock:

we've cut a very steep downhill to practice on and it's scary when you are back as far as you can go on the bike but the rear wheel comes up in the air regardless. that's when i spun it sideways and decided to walk it down.

GMP wrote:...I sat on a new Beta trials bike and can see and feel, staticly anyway, how its supposed to be! Suspension needs much lighter damping especially rebound for bounce moves and softer springs as well, I'm the other direction. Now I want one but likely not happening. :(

i'm in the lucky position of house sitting a mate's private property for a month while he's away so heaps of time for riding. i've just got a second set of wheel with trials tires and the TUbliss system to run 0 to 4psi so i'm keen to mess around with suspension... i'm going to note the current settings then just back off all the damping to zero and see if the bike will act more like a trials bike when i need to bounce it around. will report back.

betajuice

Postby Jakobi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:29 pm

They're a good 1600km south of me Glenn. Met up with Sambo for a ride back when he was on his CRF (prior to buying the Beta) when he was up this way.

I agree regarding the suspension setup too. Its hard to find a setup which is really effective in the technical arena as well as holding up when pushed at pace. I tend to prefer some stability at speed. I don't imagine the weight of the flex bars would be helpful either. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the blokes who excell at this are rather tall. I have short legs, which makes everything all that bit more complicated.
Jakobi

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Techniques & Training