Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & training

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Re: Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & traini

Postby katoom400 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:14 am

betajuice wrote:finally girded our loins (e.g. put on some diapers) and tackled big red... ridden past it plenty of times in much fear and trepidation, it was finally time to make the hill climb.

Tackling Big Red: https://youtu.be/xDiFLAQZpic

Love this video since it features the same two bikes I own! still waiting to develop the skills on the trials bike as it's such a different animal!

after riding enduro bikes all these years, and seeing the things that can be done on trials bikes, the expectation is that you will be able to throw that light bike around like a bicycle...but it just isnt that easy.... The power delivery is soooo much different than my 300rr that I'm going to have to learn a new set of skills just to ride up my normal enduro trails...(lot more clutch work)

granted I've only had time to get out on the trials bike a handful of times, but the lack of seat alone is already improving my riding.

as usual, Great Video Barry!
katoom400

Postby betajuice » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:32 pm

katoom400 wrote:...I've only had time to get out on the trials bike a handful of times, but the lack of seat alone is already improving my riding...

lol they do get you standing awful fast don't they?

Brother vs brother ride: https://youtu.be/yClPq4TF8YM

this vid is not really a cross training ride, just easing my brother back into dirt riding after 11 years away from motorbikes. he wasn't too shabby considering.... what is interesting is he completely flipped over riding the beta. an old kato 380 was one of his favorite bikes ever and he was stunned at the engine and handling of the RR300. nothing new to all of us guys of course. :mrgreen:

interesting to note we both agreed the beta felt way more stable in a straight line than his 350exc-f, the opposite of what you'd expect with smokers and strokers. he reckons he'll slap one of those goldentyre fatty front tyres on soon though.
betajuice

Postby nevermind » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:24 am

betajuice wrote:interesting to note we both agreed the beta felt way more stable in a straight line than his 350exc-f, the opposite of what you'd expect with smokers and strokers. he reckons he'll slap one of those goldentyre fatty front tyres on soon though.

The Beta 350 4T FI is high up on my list of next bikes. Properly sorting the KTM model FI has been a difficult to find, moving target here in the US. How is the FI on the Aussie model? Smooth and clean take-up off the stops?
nevermind

Postby betajuice » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:39 pm

nevermind wrote:
betajuice wrote:interesting to note we both agreed the beta felt way more stable in a straight line than his 350exc-f, the opposite of what you'd expect with smokers and strokers. he reckons he'll slap one of those goldentyre fatty front tyres on soon though.

The Beta 350 4T FI is high up on my list of next bikes. Properly sorting the KTM model FI has been a difficult to find, moving target here in the US. How is the FI on the Aussie model? Smooth and clean take-up off the stops?

i'm not sure nevermind, i don't follow the beta 4T thread that closely over here but i do know they rave about them the same way as the 2T crowd do so figure there can't be many issues with them?
betajuice

Postby nevermind » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:43 am

betajuice wrote:
nevermind wrote:

i'm not sure nevermind, i don't follow the beta 4T thread that closely over here but i do know they rave about them the same way as the 2T crowd do so figure there can't be many issues with them?

I was asking about the Aussie version of the KTM your brother was riding. How was the fueling off the stops on his bike?
nevermind

Postby betajuice » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:41 am

nevermind wrote:I was asking about the Aussie version of the KTM your brother was riding. How was the fueling off the stops on his bike?

not sure what that means, nevermind. is that what is the throttle response like from idle on? if so, nice and smooth...

latest training vid, part of the 10 part log hopping series...

DOUBLE BLIP LOG HOP TECHNIQUE: https://youtu.be/PWKI0VQrbzQ

betajuice

Postby Balkan boy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:35 am

Barry,
I have a challenge for you.
Ride hard for an hour until you're completely exhausted. Somewhere like an endurocross course, or a difficult forest loop.
Then try to do all the advance techniques and see what changes when the body and mind are spent.
All in the name of science, of course.

I assume you have a good life insurance by now. :D
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby betajuice » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 am

an hour of hard riding, you must be joking.... it only takes a few minutes and i'm exhausted. :lol:

i've noticed after 50 the cardiovascular side of things has really dropped badly and i'm wheezing like an old asthmatic dog just after a tough hill climb. thinking of putting on the running shoes and doing some interval training on some local hills nearby but it's basically middle age kicking in with a vengeance i reckon.

my technique definitely goes to crap within a few minutes of getting tired and i just pull over, take some deep breaths and wait till it feels like i'm not on the verge of a heart attack. lol
betajuice

Postby Balkan boy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:14 pm

In that case, consider indoor rowing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8
It's more beneficial then running and almost has no impact on the joints. It's a lot more fun and demanding, as well. I used to run a lot to get fit for the bike, but I'm getting better results with rowing.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby betajuice » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:47 pm

spent a fair bit of time researching mousses vs tubliss vs tubes the past year or so and thought it might be handy to summarise... there are a thousand opinions out there, and always guys who get one-eyed about it and say one is better than all the others but i reckon it's more about what will suit you best.

Mousses vs TUlbiss vs tubes: which will suit you best?: https://youtu.be/xkPc27mU17s

betajuice

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Techniques & Training